Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Giga
View Profile

False Bottom or Misting?

Should I use a false bottom or mist my emperor scorpions habitat? Iíve read about both and was just wandering which way most people keep their humidity up and their opinion of which is better.

12/18/06  03:24pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1099206

False Bottom or Misting?

Well, I think most people mist, mostly because they are not familiar with the false bottoms. Me personaly, I like the false bottoms better because they are less work.
Really it is up to you. Either works fine so itís really just a matter of which you want to do.

12/18/06  06:42pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1099426

False Bottom or Misting?

I set up a false bottom today for my emperor because I was having to mist the substrate so often and so far it is working perfectly. The humidity is up to 80% or so and the top is well ventilated, so there is no condensation on the sides of the aquarium either, besides where the peat humus is.
Thanks for all your help!

Do crickets normally try to burrow down into the substrate?

12/18/06  07:04pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1099447

False Bottom or Misting?

Right on! Iím glad itís working well for you.
Generaly crickets do not burrow much. However, they *will* lay eggs in it so donít leave them in for more than 2 days *max* (if they last that long).
Also, donít be suprised if, at some point in time you find cricket larve in the water dish or pinheads running around in the tank. When feeding crickets, it *will* happen from time to time. There isnít really much you can do about it and you donít really want to change out the substrate just because of it. If you see little while floaty things in the water dish, just dump it out, clean the dish and re fill it. Baby crickets will not harm the scorpion...*unless* it is molting. They *can* chew on a molting or freshly molted invert and can cause damage.
If you want to keep the pinheads if/when they pop up, remove as many as you can and put them in a seperate container. DO NOT provide food for crickets inside the scorpionís tank. You donít want to encourage crickets to thrive in your scorpís tank.

12/18/06  11:32pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1099781

False Bottom or Misting?

So far I have only fed my emperor male or young female crickets to try and prevent them from laying eggs in the substrate. He has already dug two burrows in the new habitat, so I think he likes it.
Thanks for all your help!

12/19/06  08:46am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1099206

False Bottom or Misting?

what is false bottom?

01/04/07  09:46pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1119841

False Bottom or Misting?

Iíll see if I can find the thread on it again and Iíll post it for you.

01/05/07  01:53am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area