Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   PythonMan   Dmetz   Giga  
 Member  Message

Giga
View Profile

Emperor scorpion heating

I bought a UTH for a ten gallon emperor scorpion tank and stuck it on, but it only raised the temp. like 3 degrees F. So I bought a 25watt light bulb tented red. Is that okay?
Thanks!

12/16/06  04:37pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1097246

Emperor scorpion heating

Where in the tank do you have the temperature gauge in conjunction to the UTH and remind me again what type of gauge you have?
The UTH *should* be enough to adaquately heat the tank, you may just have to give it a while.
Also, if you are misting or using cold water to raise humidity, that will effect the temperature and if the gauge is getting misted with cold water or is near where water is being added, that too will effect it. You donít want too much heat and you donít want to raise the temperature too quickly. While red heat lamps will help raise temperature, they also dry out the container very quickly. Also, another thing to remember is that glass is a horrible heat conductor. Glass does not hold in heat well at all.
Give it a few days, use *warm* water for misting and filling the dish, make sure the gauges are at the top 1/3 of the tank and letís see what happens.

12/16/06  06:25pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097336

Emperor scorpion heating

I have the circular dial kind of gauges. I let the UTH stay on all night and havenít misted again since I set it up. I put a wire mesh top on and covered half of it with plastic wrap.
Thanks!

12/16/06  06:38pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1097353

Emperor scorpion heating

I forgot to ask, do emperor scorpions normally leave any remains from a cricket when they eat it? Because I gave mine a cricket and it was in the setup about a day and a half and them I did not see it anymore. Do you think he eat it or it burrowed down into the substrate? I donít see any burrows or cricket remains.
Thanks!

12/16/06  06:51pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1097362

Emperor scorpion heating

Generally they will eat the entire thing. Sometimes theyíll leave a leg or something if they arenít really hungry but, unless you feed roaches or vertebrate prey, there usually isnít much, if anything left over.

12/16/06  07:18pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097386

Emperor scorpion heating

Okay, just wanted to make sure the cricket didnít escape or burrow into the substrate.
Thanks!

12/16/06  07:21pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1097390

Emperor scorpion heating

Well, if it did escape, youíll eventually find it. If it burrowed, the scorpion will eventually dig it up.

12/16/06  08:18pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097435

Emperor scorpion heating

I do not think the cricket could escape because I only take the top off when I have to put something in or take something out, so he must have eaten it.

Can emperor scorpions see red light?

Thanks!

12/17/06  12:00am

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1097618

Emperor scorpion heating

no scorpions canít see light.

12/17/06  01:15am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1097694

Emperor scorpion heating

Actually scorpions can see light. Their vision, while not *good* per seí is much better than that of tarantulas. They can not see red, blue or black light, but white light they can and will try to move away from it.

12/17/06  01:36am

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097716

Emperor scorpion heating

I got a red bulb and the temperature in my tank is finally at 80 degrees F. I am so glad and relieved. The emperor scorpion is laying right next to it so I guess thatís a good sign. Am I right? I have put a screen lid on the top but now I have covered about 80% of it. I think I have got him set up besides a few minor adjustments.

Again, thanks so much for all your help!

12/17/06  03:36pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area