Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Eastcoastinverts   Giga   Eastcoastinverts   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga  
 Member  Message

Giga
View Profile

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Iíve heard emperor scorpions can live at room temp. (70 degrees F. at my house). Can they still molt okay at 70 degrees F. if the humidity is 80%? Please respond.
Thanks!

12/15/06  03:42pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096195

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

They can and there are plenty of people who do keep them at those tempretures without much problem. I suppose it is up to the keeper. I, myself, I prefer to provide my scorpions with enviromental conditions that mimic their natural enviroment as close as possible.
My main consern would be, if your home temps are 70 F. during the day, what are they at night?

12/15/06  04:20pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096227

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Probably the lowest the temp. gets is 67 degrees F. at night. So they molt okay at 70 degrees F.? What about the babies do they molt okay?

12/15/06  04:36pm

Eastcoastinverts
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096243

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Honestly with the brood i would say keep the temps a bit higher.What instar is the young that you have?

12/15/06  05:08pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Eastcoastinverts   In reference to Message Id: 1096283

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Well, I do not have any babies yet only an adult, but I might breed emperors in a short time. What temperature does a pregnant mother need to give birth? What temperature do babies need to grow and stay healthy? Oh yeah, how are you suppose to clean the tank after you stick the UTH on the side?
Thanks!

12/15/06  05:14pm

Eastcoastinverts
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096287

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

As far as keeping the brood.Personally i seperate them all into deli cups and or vials once they leave the mothers back to reduce the amount of cannibalism.As far as a gravid female goes,temps more near 80 would be good as well with the brood.
Did you put the UTH on the inside of the tank??If so its supposed to go on the outside.If not then just unplug it and clean the tank.Really isnt any need to clean the tank though,except uneaten prey.

12/15/06  05:19pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Eastcoastinverts   In reference to Message Id: 1096301

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

What about semi-adult emperor scorpions will they grow at 70 degrees F.? No, I placed the UTH on the outside, but you can not remove it after you put it on, so how do you clean the tank when you replace the substrate and wash it out?

12/15/06  05:23pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096308

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Quote:

Well, I do not have any babies yet only an adult, but I might breed emperors in a short time. What temperature does a pregnant mother need to give birth? What temperature do babies need to grow and stay healthy? Oh yeah, how are you suppose to clean the tank after you stick the UTH on the side?

The thing with temperature is, that the lower the temperature, the slower the invert will grow, the less it will eat, etc. Metabolism is based on body heat and when the temperatures are low, the animal does not move as much or as quickly, the internal body does not function as quickly or as well, thus why it is advised to keep the containerís internal environment as close as possible to what the animalís natural environment would be.
As far as cleaning and the UTH, most UTHís have a sticky side and can be easily removed from the glass and re-attached. If yours does not come off, then it might not be the best UTH. Now granted, you only want to completely clean out the tank once every year or two under normal conditions.

Quote:

Personally i seperate them all into deli cups and or vials once they leave the mothers back to reduce the amount of cannibalism.

P. imperator are not as aggressively cannibalistic as other scorpion species, thus, separating the scorplings into individual containers is not really necessary as long as ample food and hides are available. I have *never* individually separated my scorplings. When I remove them from the parent tank, I put *all* of the sílings into one container and they have cohabited very well for years.
For temperature variances during the different seasons (breeding and birthing seasons) look up the climate conditions of their natural habitat, that will give you a good rough estimate as to what types of temps and RH they should be at during those times for optimal success.

12/15/06  05:56pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096344

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Dmetz, Thanks for all the help and information you have provided me with, you have no idea how much it has helped. Sorry that I asked so many questions, but better safe than sorry. Are 8"x8" 4watt Exo Terra Rainforest UTHís good quality UTHís?

12/15/06  06:07pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096361

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I donít know. I donít use UTHís anymore, havenít used them in years so I havenít really kept up with whatís good and whatís not. Iím surprised that it wonít come off the tank though...that kind of sucks. Does it have a sticky side that can be peeled off the tank...perhaps with a bit of force?

Either way, you shouldnít need to worry too much about it for at least a year and by then you may want to change out UTHís anyway as they tend to not last forever.

Youíre very welcome for the help. Donít worry at all about how many questions you ask...if you didnít ask, you wouldnít learn, right?

Oh, a thought:
If you have a UTH on the tank and your indoor home temps are 70, then the internal tank temps should be just fine and, on the warm side of the tank, with the UTH, should be about 80-ish, which is good.

12/15/06  06:17pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096374

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

What heat sorce do you use? I have not stuck the UTH on the tank yet because I wanted to learn a little more about them first. So you can pull the off after you stick them on? The box mine came in says not to, but now days they put warnings like "hot" or "sharp" on obvious items. lol

12/15/06  06:36pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096390

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I use a red heat lamp for one of my shelving units and a space heater for the other one. My house is generally about 74 F. and I keep my bedroom about 78 F. because that is where I house all of my breeding projects, desert inverts, etc.

12/15/06  06:53pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096407

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Dmetz, Thanks for all your help. I think my emperor should soon be very happy and comfortable. The humidity right now is about 85% and the temp. 71 degrees F. I know 71 is low, but I should be fixing that pretty soon. Also I have put a shallow water dish and artificial log in the setup also. I am having a bit of a problem with condensation. Do you think the condensation will go away after a few days?

12/15/06  07:22pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096427

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Yes, the condensation will mellow out after a while. When the humidity is at its highest, some condensation is to be expected. If it doesnít lessen after a couple days, check your ventilation.
Having a little condensation around the substrate line is pretty typical in high humidity set ups, so donít worry about too much if there is a bit at ground level, but that too should settle down after about a week or so.

12/15/06  07:39pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096435

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

The setup has a 1/4 inch plywood lid painted black with 15 2/8 inch holes drilled into it. Is that enough ventilation? Right now all the sides are covered in condensation(except for the spots where the scorpion has tried to climb up the glass), but I only set it up last night.
Thanks for all your help!

12/15/06  07:49pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096451

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I mean 15 2/16 inch holes drilled in the lid.

12/15/06  07:54pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096455

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

That lid is for a 10 gallon? No, that is not enough ventilation. That is the equivelent of about 25% ventilation, which is way too little. With your temperature inside the tank being only 71 F. (provided that is an acurate measure) and there is that much condensation inside...something isnít right.

Youíll need *at least* twice the amount of holes in that lid, if not 3 times. Thatís why I always say, just use a screen top lid, they are easier to ventilate and *much* easier to control ventilation.

12/15/06  09:05pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096522

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I think I am going to wait a day or two and see if it clears up. I stuck my UTH on and Iíll see what happens. If it doesnít clear up soon Iíll fix the holes either by adding more or making them bigger, but if I put to many it wonít hold the heat in. Thanks again!

12/15/06  09:39pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096556

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Quote:

but if I put to many it wonít hold the heat in.

Ohhh yes it will...trust me! Iíve kept P. imperator for years with full screen tops and full ventilation and the heat holds just fine.
You *NEED* to understand that good ventilation is *vital* to the health of the scorpion(s) as well as for the intregrity of the tank enviroment.
You are *not* going to lose all the heat in the tank by providing proper ventilation and 15 little holes is *not* "ventilation". What will end up happening is:
1. Youíll end up cooking it because the tank will retain too much heat
2. Youíll end up with a tank full of mold and mites because the air inside the tank can not properly circulate
or...
3. Both
You *donít* want to make the holes bigger because if you do, youíll be inviting trouble for the scorpion if it manages to get a claw wrapped around one of those holes.
Also, the bigger the hole, the more likely that other pests can get in to the tank...and you donít want that.
A plywood lid is not a good choice for a lid. It will swell and eventually rot because of the humidity level, as well, having been painted, the condensation buildup on and inside the wood will cause the paint to chip, peel and flake, thus posing a potental danger to your scorpion if it accidently injects it.

I donít understand why things must be so difficult. If you want what is best for the scorpion, then do what is best for the scorpion. I understand that you are brand new to this, but please, trust me on this...just get rid of the wood lid and put a screen top lid on it.
If youíd like, Iíll even show you how to make humidity flaps to help regulate humidity and ventilation levels....and those donít cost a thing other than sizzors, masking tape and plastic wrap.

12/15/06  10:24pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096610

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I have a store bought metal screen lid. Will you explain to me what humidity flaps do and how to make them?
Thanks!

12/15/06  10:35pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096618

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Hereís the link for the description on how to make them. Humidity Flaps
Scroll down the thread a bit until you get to my (Shadowspider) post with the pictures. These work wonderful, look better and last longer than just slapping a piece of plastic wrap on the tank. You can also make several flaps so you can decide how much or how little ventilation you want at any given time just by raising or lowering one or more of the flaps.
Now just so you know, the picture shows two of my tarantula tanks but humidity flaps can be fashioned for just about any size or shape container. The actual method for constructing them and how they work is in post #20.

12/15/06  10:52pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096631

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Wouldnít wax paper work better because it is more stiff, but will still hold in the humidity?
Thanks!

12/15/06  11:06pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1096647

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I suppose you could use wax paper if you wanted to, I donít know, never tried it. The reason I like to use plastic wrap is because it is clingy and, when sprayed with water, will adhere to the lid of the tank, but when dry, will easily move so that air flow is eaiser. Oh, and because itís clear. With wax paper, you wouldnít be able to see in through the lid. Wax paper might be more difficult to remove dust from given its construction...but I donít know.
Could be a good experiement.
If it is you that I saw over in VL who posted in the scorpion forum.....check out Brainís set ups for his rainforest dwelling scorpions. Now I know that you already have the tanks and stuff, but using the boxes like he has are a lot less expensive (and they wonít shatter ), as well, they do a wonderful job of holding in humidity while still providing good air flow given enough ventilation holes are provided.

12/15/06  11:29pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1096669

IMPORTANT QUESTION!

I am going to experiment with the humidity and ventilation, but I am set on keeping my tanks.
Thanks!

12/16/06  12:15am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area