Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga   Dmetz   Giga  
 Member  Message

Giga
View Profile

Emperor Scorpion Questions

I am thinking of purchasing an Emperor scorpion in the next two to three days. I have already purchased all the neccesary equipment. Here are my questions: Is an 8 watt UTH sufficeint for heating a ten gallon tank? Is it neccesary to put pebbles under the substrate? Is 100% organic peat humas okay for the substrate? How do you keep the glass from fogging up or getting condensation on it?

12/12/06  08:19pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1092888

The UTH should say what size tank it can be used for. The only time you need to put gravel under the substrate is if you are going to be setting up a false bottom for maintaining humidity levels, then youíd also need a tube for pouring the water into.
As far as the glass fogging up and getting condensation on it....thatís going to happen right after you mist or fill the false bottom...at least for a little while.
P. imperator are rainforest scorpions, thus, they like it hot and humid. Being surrounded in glass, it is bound to get foggy and drippy once in a while.
What I would suggest you do to help keep the fogging and condensation down a bit is to provide full ventilation on the lid.

Yes, peat is fine as long as it doesnít have fertilizers or other chemicals in it.
Oh, and just remember to put the UTH on the *side* of the tank, near the water dish, donít put it on the bottom.

Might I ask what all you have purchesed for it?

12/13/06  02:12am

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1093359

Iíve purchased six ten gallon tanks, six UTHs, eight water dishes, eight artificial logs, three humidity gauges, three temp. gauges, and the materials I used to make my own custom lids. I know I purchased alot, but itís too late now Iím already half way there. I have a few more questions. What do you mean by "provide a full ventilation on the lid"? What is the advantage of a false bottom setup instead of just misting it? Why do I need to put the UTH on the side and not the bottom?
Thanks for all your help!

12/13/06  11:32am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1093573

Quote:

Iíve purchased six ten gallon tanks, six UTHs, eight water dishes, eight artificial logs, three humidity gauges, three temp. gauges, and the materials I used to make my own custom lids. I know I purchased alot, but itís too late now Iím already half way there. I have a few more questions. What do you mean by "provide a full ventilation on the lid"? What is the advantage of a false bottom setup instead of just misting it? Why do I need to put the UTH on the side and not the bottom?

Why 6 of everything? If youíre planning on getting more than one P. imperator, you *can* house them together. You can comfortably house 2 adults in a 10 gallon. If you got the stick on temp and humidity gauges, take them back and get your money back, they *donít* work. Invertebrates go underground to *escape* excess heat. P. imperator are burrowing scorpions, thus, if you have the UTH on the bottom of the tank then the heat is more intense at the bottom, they will fry themselves.
People like to use the false bottom set ups because it eliminates the need for constant misting. If putting 2 inches of aquarium safe gravel on the bottom and filling that portion with warm water, you will not need to mist or fill it again for *at least* a month and it will maintain a *much* better humidity level in a more natural way.
What I mean by a full ventilation lid is to use a standard, heavy gauge, screen top lid. The same type lid used for reptile enclosures.

12/13/06  04:26pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1093866

I was planning on breeding emperor scorpions, but after I purchased all the neccesaries I procrastinated and didnít get any for about six months. Now, I want them again, but thought I better start out with one and get more if I like them. I already have some scorpions, but no emperors. My gauges arenít the stick on kind there the circular dial ones and Iíve already opened them. Please give me any other suggestions you have. I have already researched alot about emperors I just had a few questions not metioned in most of my reading.

12/13/06  06:06pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1094010

Ahhh, ok, makes sense now.

12/13/06  07:04pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1094089

So how many scorpions do you have? What kinds are they? What kind of setups do you have them in? What heating sources do you use?
Again, thanks for all your help!

12/13/06  09:17pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1094316

0.0.1 Androctonus mauretanicus
About 2 inches. In a small KK with a flat rock that s/he LOVES to hide under and has pretty much buried completly.

1.1.0 Pandinus imperator
Both about 6+ inches 10 gallon tank with a huge, wide, shallow water dish and about 7 bark hides that they fancy throwing around from time to time.

0.0.1 Parabuthus leiosoma
About 1.5 inches. In a clear, plastic glad storage container.

0.0.1 Hottentotta trilineatus
About .5 inch. In a deli cup

0.0.1 Leirus quinquestritatus
About .75 inch in a salsa jar with a bark hide that it just likes to sit on top of and threaten everything that comes near its container.

0.0.2 Tityus bahiensis
Both about 1 to 1.5 inches. Both are in salsa jars with a *vertical* bark climb that they absolutely love and rarely come down off of.

0.0.1 Hadrurus arizonensis (poss. spadix)
About 5 inches. In a breeding box type KK (no, Iím not breeding it, the container was just handy at the time). With several flat rocks and bark that it too has almost completly buried. I never see that sucker...I canít even figure out which hole itís hiding in. The only time I ever see it is when I decide to be mean and mist the container.

0.0.1 Heterometrus spinifer
About 6 inches. In a large KK with 2 flat rocks and this crazy, long piece of bark that it loves and seldom ever comes out from under.
I use a red heat lamp for some and a space heater for others. All are in 100% peat moss.

12/14/06  12:07am

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1094553

Sounds like you have alot of scorpions. How long have you been into the hobby? Do you raise your own crickets? HAve any of them had any babies? I know you said you werenít breeding them, but accidents happen under the right conditions. lol
Thanks!

12/14/06  12:40am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1094602

Quote:

Sounds like you have alot of scorpions. How long have you been into the hobby? Do you raise your own crickets? HAve any of them had any babies? I know you said you werenít breeding them, but accidents happen under the right conditions. lol
Thanks!

LOL Well, "accidents" are rather difficult with invertebrates, seeing as how most do not cohabitate well. I have bred my P. imperator a few times, but thatís it. Iím more of a tarantula person than a scorpion person. My husband is more into the scorpions.
Iíve been in the ivert hobby for about 10 years now.
I donít raise crickets, I donít feed crickets to any of my inverts, I despise crickets. I feed roaches, meal worms, super worms and (for my large tarantulas) the occasional pinkie mouse.

12/14/06  02:07am

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1094645

Iíve been into the hobby about four years, but I only do scorpions. Iíve heard you had to raise the temperatures up to like 95-100 degrees F. for emperors to breed is that true? WHat temp. were yours at when they bred?
Thanks again!

12/14/06  10:28am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1094814

During breeding season (because you want to mimic the natural seasons and cycles of their natural habitat) I kept the temps in the high 90s and the humidity in the 90s as well with good ventilation. They tend to breed better when the conditions are typical late summer, rainforest type conditions and they tend to give birth better when the conditions resemble spring to early summer rainforest conditions.

12/14/06  03:52pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1095089

What temp. do you keep your emperors at most of the time? How low does it generally take yours to give birth? 4-9 months? Thats what Iíve read.
Thanks!

12/14/06  04:36pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Giga   In reference to Message Id: 1095147

On average, I keep my imps around 80 to 85 F. during non breeding season.
The average gestation length for my imps has been about 9 months.

12/14/06  05:29pm

Giga
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1095188

I bought an emperor today! Six months after I bought all the supplies. lol But better late than never, right? Oh yeah, does it matter when you breed emperors, like which month? I did not think it mattered, but you said something about a breeding season.

12/15/06  12:00am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area