Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Reptile kido   Dmetz   Reptile kido   Dmetz   Reptile kido   Dmetz   Reptile kido   PythonMan   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Reptile kido
View Profile

Setup

hey guys ,Iím wondering if my setup for an p. scorpion was OK all i need is the heat mat ,the thermometers and the screen cover. tell me if my setup is good plz and ty

12/04/06  09:04pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1083235

Setup

Youíre going to need about 6 inches of substrate in there so it can burrow. If youíre planning on putting those stick on guages in the tank, donít waste your time, they donít work.
The water dish looks ok, as long as it is plastic. The only problem you might have with it is that it has a narrow base and wide lip. The scorpion might tip it over when it tries to climb inside it.
If you have a screen top lid, you donít really need any kind of cover for it other than some plastic wrap and only cover about half the lid surface.
Those rocks piled up like that could be a hazzard, especially when the scorpion starts to burrow. Itís best to leep rocks flat on the substrate so they donít fall and injure the scorpion and so it doesnít get any appendges caught.

Over all, the set up looks great, just put in some more peat.

12/04/06  09:20pm

Reptile kido
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1083259

Setup

k well ill be getting rid of the rocks.i just got the screen cover and i put a plastic paper with 4 wholes in the top is that good enough?

12/05/06  06:51pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1084205

Setup

Well, you donít need to get rid of the rocks, just lay them flat.
Iím not sure what "plastic paper" is.
You *do* need ventilation though. You donít want the tank enviroment to get stagnant, thatís why I suggested putting plastic wrap over half the lid.
There are many who say cover 95% of the lid to hold in moisture, but what I have found in my experience is that, that tends to leave the container stagnant and promotes gnats, thus making it necessary to air out the container. Thatís why I only cover about 50% of the lid. That way humidity is held, but ventilation is still good.
Also, remember, the humidity doesnít have to be at a constant level all the time, in fact it *shouldnít* be at a 24/7 constant. Humidity levels rise and fall each day in nature, being at their highest in the mornings (thus misting in the mornings or *early* afternoons is best) and at their lowest over night. Try *not* to mist at night. The temperatures are a bit cooler at night, thus raising humidity levels at night is much harder and the humidity does not last nearly as long and is not as effective. The scorpionís container should mimic this also, thus covering only half the lid. It allows for tempreture and humidity fluxuations as would happen in nature....thatís what you want.

12/05/06  07:42pm

Reptile kido
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1084271

Setup

ok got it ,cover half of lid and not mist it at night

12/05/06  08:33pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1084356

Setup

If you would rather use a humidity flap, check out the link I posted in the "Very concerned new owner!!" thread.
Good luck and may you have many years of enjoyment with your new critter.

12/06/06  02:19pm

Reptile kido
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1085110

Setup

hey dmetz my dad said that a heat mat will break the tanks glass is this true?

12/06/06  06:14pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1085386

Setup

no its not true, teh only way that might happen is if you used like a 55 gallon tank heater and used it on a ten. if you use the right size heating pad fer the tank, you wonít have ta worry bout the tanks glass breaking.

12/06/06  07:32pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1085494

Setup

Ditto what Pythonman said.
UTHís are *designed* for aquariam tanks and vice versa; they wonít bust the glass.

12/08/06  02:53pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area