Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

OX   Dmetz   OX  
 Member  Message

OX
View Profile

B. jacksoniís

Can any body tell me about the B. jacksoniís? I saw a pic of some and was wondering if they were good for "beginners". I have never herd of them before now and Iím interested in them.
I donít want one now but maybe some time in the future if I can learn more about them.
Maybe personal experiences, their temperament, what ever you guys feel like telling me.

Look forward to hearing from you,
OX

11/29/06  12:02am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 1076703

B. jacksoniís

Hey Ox, you have good taste.
Babycurus jacksoni are wonderful scorpions! They donít get very large, about 3 to 4 inches as adults. They are *not* a very good beginnerís species. They are in the Buthidae family, therefore, they do have a medically significent venom. While they are not the most agressive of species, they *do* have attitude and are not afraid to show it. They *will* use that telson and inject venom.
They are an arboreal species so they *must* have a *vertical* piece of bark to hang on. Vertical climbs are mandatory for *all* arboreal scorpions or they will not be able to successfully molt. They molt vertically with their heads facing down. If they have to molt at ground level, they generaly have problems and often do not survive the molt. They tend to be very good eaters and can be kept in small communities *as long as* they have *plenty* of room, vertical climbs and lots of food to go around. They come from Tanzinia and other parts of eastern Africa, they *are* an Old World species. They do not burrow but *do* climb extreamly well so, if keeping them, *always* know their whereabouts *before* opening the container.
Hereís a link that can give you some general info. on them and their care: B. jacksoni. You may have to scroll down to find them, if so, they are the third picture down.

12/01/06  03:35pm

OX
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1079507

B. jacksoniís

Thanks a lot. That was very informative and I really appreciated it. Maybe some day I will get one but not any time soon. I would like to get a lot more experience with scorpions first.
Thanks again
OX

12/07/06  10:58pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area