Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

PythonMan   Media   PythonMan   Media   PythonMan   Media   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

PythonMan
View Profile

Emperor tank.

i have a male emperor i am getting a female, i probably am gonna mate them some time next year, instaed of just goin out and buying nother 10 gallon tank, since i am planning on bredding em should i just go out and buy a 20 long. wouldnít a 20 be better than a 10 with her and when she has her offspring in the tank or are you suppos ta seperate the offsrping from the mother after however... many months. whats just the basic info i need ta know bout breeding em,

11/27/06  10:41pm

Media
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1075448

Emperor tank.

The scorplings should be separated from the mother between the 1st and 2nd instar (moulting). After that, momma will start looking at kids like they are supper. Remember to do as MUCH research as possible before hand, and getting a scorpion pet manual will help also. A good website to go to is Aracnoboards.com ( thousands of pet owners and scientists alike go there ). But either of these site tend to be very helpful.

11/27/06  10:55pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1075479

Emperor tank.

i was just wondering can i keep the male and female together in the 20 gallon til they mate then take the male out back into his 10 gallon, then after the babies are born and seperated could i return him er would he have ta stay in his tank until they mate again. after the babies are born does the mom feedem er do you have to put small crickets in there.

11/28/06  12:30am

Media
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1075600

Emperor tank.

You should actually be able to keep the male in the tank with the female. At least till the female shows signs that she is about to give birth (usually becoming hostile and reclusive). Then you should actually put the female in the 10g tank, that way it is easier for her to catch the crickets to feed to the little scorplings. Which she will do till between the 1st and 2nd instar. After that the scorplings should be fed pinheads (baby crickets).

11/28/06  07:35pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1076326

Emperor tank.

i donít mean ta sound cheap er anything, but instead of goin out and buying two more 10 gallon tanks, i took my empty 40 gallon and i put a divider in the middle, will this work if i keep the male one side and the female on the other, then put em together ta mate em, then put em back into there own sides, then i can move the babies into a 10 gallon when its time ta take them away from the momma. i want yer opinions on if this setup will work er not.

11/28/06  11:45pm

Media
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1076695

Emperor tank.

What are the dimensions of the 40g tank? That is just to much extra space for 2 scorpions. One 20g long tank (30x12x12) is perfect for 2 scorpions. The 2 should be left in the same tank. No need to remove him. It is just easier on the female to put her in a 10g tank towards the end of gestation (Less ground for her to have to cover to catch the crickets to feed to the scorplings). The larger the tank, the harder for them to find their food.

11/29/06  02:20am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1076776

Emperor tank.

Quote:

The scorplings should be separated from the mother between the 1st and 2nd instar (moulting). After that, momma will start looking at kids like they are supper.

Iím going to partially disagree with this. I have raised P. imperators for years and have found this to *not* be the case.
First of all, you will know itís time to remove the scorplings when *they* leave the motherís back, generally after their first molt. Do *not* remove the babies until they have left Momís back and are able to hunt for themselves. Also, *as long as* there is *plenty* of food to go around, Mom generally will *not* view their offspring as a food source. This generally only occurs when adaquate amounts of food are *not* supplied.

I have kept my male and female together for over 3 years and three seperate matings and I have *never* had aggression issues between them, even up to and after birth. Here again, available food is a *must* in keeping the peace. Also remember, P. imperator are *very* communial and generally (except in the rare occasion) cohabitate quite nicely together.
A 10 gallon tank is fine for two adult imps. What you *will* need to do is provide plenty of hides for them. Each scorpion should have at least two hides to choose from, however, it is common for imps to share one hide.
Bigger is not always better. You *can* use a 20 gallon for two adult imps and it will provide more room for additional hides and a larger water dish, however, it is not necessary.
Donít bother wasting your time with a large tank and a divider. Remember, these are burrowing scorpions and a divider can do more harm than good sometimes. P. imperator are not an aggressive species so you *really* donít need to worry about keeping them strictly seperated. The only time you might want to remove the male would be after the scorplings are born and have moved off the motherís back....but here agian, at that point, the sílings can be put into their own container(s).

About mating.....you will *need* to supply the male with a flat piece of slate, rock, something, that he can deposit the spermataphore on and pull the female across. If there is no flat, stable place for him to do this, they will not mate.
Also, try to mimic their natural enviroment. They are a rain forest species so, if you want them to mate, make sure that your temperature and humidity are at correct levels when their natural mating season starts to approach.

An additional thought:
Make SURE that you do in fact have a mature male and a mature female. Imps of the same sex can generally cohabitate peacefullly, however, males tend to get testy with each other. Also bear in mind that not all males and females get along right away. If they start showing aggression toward each other when introduced into the same tank, make sure there are plenty of hides and plenty of food. Imps are a lot less likely to fight if they both have a safe, dark place to retreat to and donít have to compete for food.

Even in the best of conditions they may still get testy with each other from time to time....all lovers have the occasional spat after all. If you feel that one is getting too aggressive toward the other, remove the male. Do not remove a female from her home unless you absolutely have to, especially after mating. And just remember, they donít much care for big open spaces, they prefer dark, cozy holes and hides.
Oh, and make sure your water dish is *shallow*. Yes, you will have to fill it more often, but imps have a tendency to like to bathe and they will get full into the water dish to clean and groom themselves...itís VERY cool to watch...so, if you can find a water dish that is at least 6 inches in diameter and 1 to 1.5 inches deep, that would be perfect for them.
Good luck and yes, research, research, reearch. Arachnoboards and Venom List are two very good sites to visit for good, acurate information.

12/01/06  02:37pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area