can some one please help

tyvm
repti kido

11/26/06  11:20pm

Media
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1074164

Plants

It is just easier to put fake plants in the tank. An important key in keeping good humidity is the substrate. A 4-6" mix of peat moss and dirt with a LITTLE mulch (NOT CEDAR or PINE!!!) does wonders to keep higher humidity. Make sure the dirt has NO chemicals in it. Mist the tank once or twice a day (keeping your eyes on the humidity gauge) to keep it at 80-85%. Keeping high humidity is fairly easy to accomplish.

11/27/06  11:14pm

Reptile kido
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1075517

Plants

i read that fern is a great plant to use in emps tanks. is this true?

11/28/06  05:43pm

Media
View Profile

Message To: Reptile kido   In reference to Message Id: 1076183

Plants

Live or fake? If it is live, it will need light. Remember that imp. scorpions do not need light. And that having to much light can kill them. I am kinda lazy, so I myself have fake ferns in my tank. You can easily find fake ferns at just about any pet store. Having live plants does call for a little more work on your part. You can’t take the plants out of their pots ( chemicals are needed for healthy plants ). You would also have to secure the pot so that the scorps don’t burrow under it and crush themselves. What kind of lid will you be using on the tank? If it is just the average screen lid, the tank will not hold much humidity. If it is a screen lid, there is an easy (and CHEAP) fix to keep the humidity.

11/28/06  07:21pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1076309

Plants

Creating a live viv. for a *burrowing* scorpion is, IMO, a waste of time and money. Why? Because they will tear the heck out of the plantís roots and, if the plants are kept in pots, they will dig into the pots and *still* tear up the plantsí roots. In addition, as was mentioned, live plants require light to survive and scorpions donít like light. Also, you have to feed the plants, they *do* require fertilizer at least once a year and fertilizer will kill a scorpion.
It really is best to just use artificial plants. That way when the scorpion(s) decide to yank up the plant(s), you can just re-bury the bottom of them or just take them out and you donít have to worry about spending money on plants that will eventually die.
As far as keeping humidity up, thatís easy and can be done in many different ways. If you have the time to mist, mist. If not, get a *small* room humidifier and put it right next to the container, or, if you are using a KK or a tank that has a screen top lid, you can just set up the tank with a false bottom, then maintaining humidity is not only easy, but only takes about 5 seconds to do once every few weeks.

12/01/06  03:43pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area