Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Whenewa   Tanya C   Tanya C   Whenewa   Tanya C   Tanya C   Dmetz   Tanya C   Tanya C   Dmetz   Whenewa   Whenewa   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Whenewa
View Profile

Red clawed emperor scorpion

does anybody have any?

what size of a cage do they need?

what do you need to put in thier cage?

how often should I spray it with a spray bottle?

and how often should I feed it?

last (for now)what tempature does it need?

sorry for so many questions.

11/26/06  09:55am

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1073269

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/tenczar/Pcavimanus/Pcavimanus.htm
http://www.projects.ex.ac.uk/bugclub/scorp.html

--they should have atleast a 10 gal tank
--it is nice to give them 2 hides, one at each end
--a shallow bowl of water, we dont want it to drown. you can also place a piece of sponge in if you wish
--100% peatmoss is the best to use, dampen it, but dont soak it
--make a rock formation so he can burrow under the rocks
--80 degrees for temp, 75/80% humidity

DO NOT put them in direct UV, they dont need light, they are nocturnal, so anyplace that gets some natural light, but not directly in front of a window

they will pretty much eat anything that crawls and is smaller than them, crickets, pinky mice, wax worms, grass hoppers and the like

a heating pad is good, this can be put under the tank or on the side, it makes more sense to place it on the side since they burrow to cool down.

it is nice to keep the enviro as natural as possible, so some sticks, bark pieces etc in the tank is good for some exercise

feeding differs for people i find, some people feed their emp 2x a week, some 3x etc. There are some people who feed them every 2 weeks.

Personally myself, HumVís diet is mostly crickets, but i let them stay in the tank with them, i put in some blue cricket feed (gel) and a bit of lettuce in a dish, and as HumV feels up to eat, he will snack on a cricket. He does not eat them all at once.

When it comes to feeding crickets, you need to make sure you get the proper size for your emp, if the crickets are too small, he wont be able to grasp onto them

hope this helps :)
tanya

11/26/06  03:24pm

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1073269

i found this too, this gent has had his for a year or so
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-2682.html

11/26/06  03:27pm

Whenewa
View Profile

Message To: Tanya C   In reference to Message Id: 1073541

thanks ALOT!

11/27/06  08:02pm

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1075129

no prob my friend

11/29/06  12:29am

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1075129

oh sorry, misting, you should mist about 2 to 3 times a day. You dont want to soak the soil, but you want to keep it moist, it will help keep the humidity also

11/29/06  12:30am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Tanya C   In reference to Message Id: 1076717

The care of a red claw is *exactly* the same as the care for P. imperator.
As far as misting....youíll be misting yourself to death if that is going to be your only means of providing humidity. If you have a small room humidifer, by all means use it! Or, you can set up the container with a false bottom for elevating humidity. Here is a link that talks about them and how to do it: False Bottoms
I do, however, want to correct some things here with this quote:

Quote:

--they should have atleast a 10 gal tank
--it is nice to give them 2 hides, one at each end
--a shallow bowl of water, we dont want it to drown. you can also place a piece of sponge in if you wish
--100% peatmoss is the best to use, dampen it, but dont soak it
--make a rock formation so he can burrow under the rocks
--80 degrees for temp, 75/80% humidity

You NEVER put a sponge in a water dish. That is a *very* good way to invite mites and hoards of bacteria that could harm the scorpion.
Do NOT use rocks for them to burrow under, that is a crushing waiting to happen. Use cork bark or flower pots (unglazed clay or plastic) and turn them on their side and half bury them.
Temperature should be about 85 to 90 F. and humidity should be roughly the same. These are *rainforest* scorpions, not temperate scorpions and they *like* living in a sauna.

Quote:

a heating pad is good, this can be put under the tank or on the side, it makes more sense to place it on the side since they burrow to cool down.

True, if using a UTH, it should *only* be put on the side of the tank, generally near the water dish. Putting heating pads under the tank is counter productive to what a *burrowing* species does, if the species (be it scorpion or tarantula) is arboreal, then the UTH should go on the bottom.

Quote:

it is nice to keep the enviro as natural as possible, so some sticks, bark pieces etc in the tank is good for some exercise

This species is *not* arboreal and providing things for them to climb on is an injury waiting to happen. They are not gerbals, they donít exercise, they dig holes and sit in them, thatís about the extent of their exercise.
If using "natural" decor, make *certain* that you use the correct barks and wood types. Do *not* use anything pine, cedar or any other type of sap wood, as they contain natural insectocides and no, boiling, baking or microwaving will *not* fix that. You can use aspen and alder wood, for hides. However, if you do *do NOT* microwave or boil them to kill bacteria. While yes, it will do that, it will also kill the benificial bacteria and you will find yourself with a moldy mess in a very short amount of time. Bake them in a warm oven (about 200 F.) for 15 minutes, let the bark cool, then place it in the container.

Quote:

Personally myself, HumVís diet is mostly crickets, but i let them stay in the tank with them, i put in some blue cricket feed (gel) and a bit of lettuce in a dish, and as HumV feels up to eat, he will snack on a cricket. He does not eat them all at once.

I donít want to sound rude or condensending here but *please* do not follow this example. This is something that *every* experienced invert keeper would strongly advise against. You *donít* want crickets breeding in your scorpionís tank. Crickets are filthy bugs and are carriers of mites and parasites, thus, leaving them in a container with an invert and allowing them to live in there at their leisure is a prime way to spread nasties to your scorpion.
Provide your scorpion with 3 to 5 large crickets, 7 superworms, or 2 grasshoppers (with back legs removed) once a week and you will have a happy, well fed scorpion. However, if the prey is *not* eaten after 24 hours REMOVE IT...donít just leave it in there. Now with super worms and mealies, you canít really remove them because they will burrow, donít worry about, the scorpion will dig them up if it wants them. If not, they will eventually turn into little beatles. Scorpions will not eat the beatles, so just take the beatles out and toss them.
The basic size prey you want to feed should be about 1/3 the size of the scorpionís body (not counting the tail and palps).

12/01/06  03:10pm

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1079480

well holy jumping, thats it, i am sticking to fish.
I was under the impression that a rock is ok as long as it is supported so it cant collapse.
For the sponge, i had read somewhere that the scorpion can use it to help him out of the dish.
Crickets, to be honest, didnt even think of the mating thing, i just saw them as food.
I mist because i work from home and have no social life, so i am always around.

I am very sorry my friend, for misinforming you so horribly. I think for now i will be a fly on the wall and just read the posts :0)

Anyhow, i am off to get the crickets from the tank and a few other things. I do have the peat moss in though and the bark out.

12/04/06  11:40pm

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Tanya C   In reference to Message Id: 1083459

hey there again..

Quote:

Now with super worms and mealies, you canít really remove them because they will burrow,

Are you saying that i dont have to worry about putting these things into a dish? I mean, yes, i know they are not out in the wilderness sitting down to eat with cutlery, but i was worried about impaction.

12/04/06  11:55pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Tanya C   In reference to Message Id: 1083474

Nope, no dish required.
Inverts arenít really as suseptable to impaction as reptiles are so it really isnít an issue.
However, what you might want to do if you do feed mealies is to wet the substrate *first* before you drop them in.
I keep all my rainforest species containers fairly moist (not swampy though) so the substrate is generally always too moist for the worms liking...and they donít burrow in it.
You can dampen the substrate right by your scorpionís favorite hide or burrow, then toss the mealies on the dampened substrate and they wonít burrow in it...thus, giving the scorpion time to grab them up before they have a chance to disappear.

12/05/06  03:25am

Whenewa
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1083550

Thanks!

01/15/07  11:04am

Whenewa
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1133966

Is it OK to feed them lobster roaches?

01/15/07  11:14am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Whenewa   In reference to Message Id: 1133976

Absolutely, just make sure the roach is of appropriate size to the scorpion, about 1/3 of the scorpionís body, not counting tail and palps.

01/15/07  06:03pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area