Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Suspect187   Media   Suspect187   Media   Dmetz   Tanya C   Rangus   Suspect187   Dmetz   Rangus   Dmetz   Rangus   Dmetz   Rangus   Rangus   AnolesRule   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Suspect187
View Profile

Emp eating pinky

This is my female emperor scorpion eating a pinky mouse. She ate the whole thing by herself!!! This is my first time feeding her one and it seems like she loved it. All comments are welcome.

I have video but the quality is poor so I decided not to post it.

11/20/06  11:02pm

Media
View Profile

Message To: Suspect187   In reference to Message Id: 1067803

Emp eating pinky

Was it a live pinky or a thawed one? I want to feed mine pinkies to but I am not sure which kind.

11/21/06  01:24am

Suspect187
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1067922

Emp eating pinky

LIVE!!! Only took a few second for the emp to detect the mouse flopping on the ground right in front her hide. She came right out, grabbed it and dragged in back into her coconut shell. You could hear the mouse squeak for its life lol.

11/21/06  01:45am

Media
View Profile

Message To: Suspect187   In reference to Message Id: 1067935

Emp eating pinky

That makes alot more sense. Some of the things I have read said to drop in a dead one (cause I guess sometimes they eat carrion), but my girl and guy would NOT touch them for any thing!! Thanks!

11/21/06  10:24pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Media   In reference to Message Id: 1068990

Emp eating pinky

Unlike tarantulas, most scorpions will not eat pre killed prey so, I suppose if feeding vertebrate prey, live would be better.
Just keep in mind to *only* feed adult scorpions of large stature and size a mouse and *only* feed pinks, do *not* feed fuzzies or larger live prey. The more mature the mouse, even a baby, the more developed their teeth are and they *are* able to bite with a good bit of force and can injure or kill a scorpion.
Also, vertebrate prey should *not* be the staple diet. They are good "treats" but it is best to aim for invertebrate prey (crickets, roaches, meal or super worms, grasshoppers etc.) as their staple diet.

Also, after feeding such a large meal, it will not be necessary to feed the scorpion again for several weeks. Power feeding invertebrates is not always a good idea.

12/01/06  04:23pm

Tanya C
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1079568

Emp eating pinky

Hey there :)
For the most part, HumV, Emp, has a diet of crickets, meal worms and such.
Now, i would like to give him a treat once in awhile but for the life of me, i cannot bring myself to drop in a live pinky mouse, sorry folks, just cant, i thought about it alot but it aint working for me :)

I did however get a dead pinky mouse and do the ídead mouse walkingí dance with it, Humv seemed to take some liking to it, but did not eat the whole thing

Is there something else i could feed him as a ítreatí once in awhile, maybe something that doesnt grow up to have fur and whiskers and squeek loud enough to be heard when being eaten? yes perhaps i have double standards on the live mouse live cricket thing, but there is just such a difference between the two :)

thnx muchly
T

12/04/06  10:51pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Tanya C   In reference to Message Id: 1083377

Emp eating pinky

MFing awsome! I cannot wait til my baby emps are big enough eat something warm blooded!

12/05/06  08:49pm

Suspect187
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1084373

Emp eating pinky

Make sure to post pics

12/13/06  03:17pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Suspect187   In reference to Message Id: 1093786

Emp eating pinky

Quote:

MFing awsome! I cannot wait til my baby emps are big enough eat something warm blooded!

"Warm blooded" is NOT their natual diet and *should not* be given as their staple diet. Scorpions ARE NOT reptiles and SHOULD NOT be fed as such.
Vertebrate prey *do* make nice TREATS but thatís it.

12/13/06  04:29pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1093872

Emp eating pinky

I would assume as much. I got all sorts of excited at the entertainment possibilities. If you owned a spider with "Bird eater" as part of itís common name, would you not try to feed it a bird? I would. A finch maybe. I think when my emps are big enough, Iíll let íem team up on an anole. That should be interesting. Hmmmm..... that might sound a little dirty to the uninformed reader. Iíll let them figure it out.

12/16/06  03:54pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1097206

Emp eating pinky

Quote:

If you owned a spider with "Bird eater" as part of itís common name, would you not try to feed it a bird?

I own several "bird eaters" including a 10 inch T. blondi and no, Iíve never felt the urge, desire or need to feed any of them anything other than hissers and the occasional pinky mouse.
This is not the spider forum, but since it was brought up, Iíll go ahead and give a bit of info on "bird eaters".
Some tarantula species acquired that title because they were very large and observed in nature occasionally eating hatch-ling birds. After a while *any* large tarantula (over 6 inches) was deemed a "bird eater", whether they actually ate birds or not. It was originally determined on basis of size rather than prey ability. However, there *is* a scientific taxonomic classification for what is and what is not a bird eater and the vast majority of tarantulas that are tagged as bird eaters, in fact, are not.
Feeding an anole to scorpions, however, is fine as long as the scorpions are adults.

12/16/06  05:26pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097283

Emp eating pinky

Oh. I guess "Bird eater" sounded better than "hatchling eater". So its basically a simpletonís classificaton of a spiders potential to eat a certain size of prey? If thats the case, why not "mouse eater"? Never mind................ I would enjoy watching one eat a finch.

12/16/06  05:45pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1097305

Emp eating pinky

Well, not so much their potential to eat certain sizes of prey, but rather their likelihood. Take C. crawshyi (king baboon) for example. They are a terrestrial burrowing species that can reach an average adult size of 8+ inches, plenty big enough to eat a small bird. However, they are more inclined to eat a rodent rather than a bird unless they are nearly starving. Now T. blondi (goliath bird eater, which can reach an adult size of 11+ inches) on the other hand, which is also a terrestrial species, but not an obligate burrower, they are more inclined to eat almost anything that crosses their path, vertebrate or invertebrate, the same applies to L. parahybana (salmon pink bird eater...adult size 8 to 10+ inches). Arboreal tarantulas, especially the larger species such as some Poecliotheria have not only the opportunity since they live in trees, but also the size capability of eating small birds, however, they generally do not, hence, they are not classified as "bird eaters".
Typically, with tarantulas, scorpions and other invertebrates vs. large vertebrate prey, they will generally only attempt to eat it if the prey is weak or injured. If it were a healthy adult rat or bird, they likely would *not* eat it because it would be too formidable an opponent for them thus risking injury to themselves...otherwise theyíd eat small children too.

12/16/06  06:18pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097326

Emp eating pinky

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. If I had to endure a few pecks to the eyes to enjoy a bucket of fried chicken, I myself, would only eat the biscuits and mashed taters. Nature can be simple if you have the patience for seeing things differently. If only war were so simple. Sorry, too deep. Way tooo deep. Peace out.

12/17/06  06:41am

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1097326

Emp eating pinky

I owned a Chilean rosehair for 12 years. Thatís a long time for any pet. I want another arachnid to last almost as long if not longer. Weíll catch up on another forum.... Iíve made this one a little redundant.

12/17/06  07:28am

AnolesRule
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1097809

Emp eating pinky

Why would you feed it an anole!! just because there the cheapest lizard??

12/22/06  06:12pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: AnolesRule   In reference to Message Id: 1103735

Emp eating pinky

Quote:

Why would you feed it an anole!! just because there the cheapest lizard??

Because anoles donít get real large and they are a perfect sized prey item for a large, adult scorpion. It has nothing to do with price and everything to do with exceptable prey. Heck, Iíd feed my scorpions small fish if I thought theyíd actually eat them.

12/22/06  10:52pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area