Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Sc0rpi0   Karrinne   Sc0rpi0   Sc0rpi0   Karrinne   Sc0rpi0  
 Member  Message

Sc0rpi0
View Profile

Scorpion newbie

Hello, everyone! My boyfriend and I are getting an emperor scorpion soon. We’ve done a bit of research and noticed that the humidity for these guys needs to be pretty high. We’ve already bought the basics for it, and we were wondering what the most common way to get that humidity up and to keep it up is? Our tank is a 10 gal. with a screened lid. Should we cover the top with something to keep the moisture in?
Thank you!

11/14/06  11:51am

Karrinne
View Profile

Message To: Sc0rpi0   In reference to Message Id: 1060194

Scorpion newbie

A simple and cheap way to keep in humidity is to take a black plastic bag and tape it to the lid. Cutting a number (1-6) different sized holes in it. Smallest hole towards where the heat source is (that way you lose as little heat as possible). Else wise if you want to drop a little cash, most pet shops sell aquarium lids (NOT the hood lamp kind, but the segmented glass kind. Both kind work well.

11/14/06  02:59pm

Sc0rpi0
View Profile

Message To: Karrinne   In reference to Message Id: 1060367

Scorpion newbie

Thanks!

11/14/06  03:10pm

Sc0rpi0
View Profile

Message To: Karrinne   In reference to Message Id: 1060367

Scorpion newbie

We set the tank up last night to hopefully get it up to the right temperature and humidity and it wasn’t working. I taped a garbage bag onto the lid and poked holes in it and the temp and humidity rose just a tad. right now the temp is 67F and the humidity is at 45%. We have set up the entire tank, with ’Eco Earth’ bedding, an old turtle shell as a hide (i want to get another one, too), an empty toilet paper roll cut in half up against the glass to make it easier to burrow, we have water dishes, a background and some ’forest decoration’ on the bottom. Also, we have a small heating pad on the bottomside of the tank. Should we move it to a side instead of underneath?

11/14/06  05:52pm

Karrinne
View Profile

Message To: Sc0rpi0   In reference to Message Id: 1060615

Scorpion newbie

Your welcome. The temp really needs to be between 75-85 degrees. Keeping them warmer means a healthier and more active pet. Remember to mist the tank at least ONCE a day. Having the pad on the side of the tank is safer for the little fellows, being that their natural tendancies are to burrow when it is too warm. Although as long as you don’t have a hiding spot in the general area where the pad is, it shouldn’t be a problem. I do believe the tank will warm a little quicker if you have it on the side though.

11/14/06  06:56pm

Sc0rpi0
View Profile

Message To: Karrinne   In reference to Message Id: 1060729

Scorpion newbie

I just read from 2-3 other people on this site to move the pad, so i decided to do that, too, and I’m going to check the temp in just a minute. I’ve been trying to get the humidity up but haven’t been able to get it past 50%. Like I said, I took your advice and put the garbage bag on the top, should I just keep misting it until it reaches the right humidity range?

11/14/06  07:03pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area