Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GirlyHerpy   Eris   GirlyHerpy   Eris  

Member  Message

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

How can i get rid of bad stuff in water!

I found someone who is rehoming there fire belly newt, and I’ve done lots of research. My only problem is, nobody will tell me how to get safe water! Can someone tell me how??

03/19/16  12:19pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317495

Hello!

Newts cannot handle the Chlorine and chloramines that are in our tap water. You can either use a fish tank de-chlorinator from the pet store (It is a liquid chemical that you would mix with the tap water prior to putting in the tank) or buy distilled water from the grocery store.

To keep the water fresh, I would suggest using a small filter (if your water depth is deep enough). I like the "Tetra Internal Whisper Power Filters". Otherwise you will be changing the water more frequently. Also, I always suggest live plants-helps filter water and keeps pets feeling more at home.

Hope that helps :)

03/19/16  07:24pm

GirlyHerpy
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2317496

Ok thank you! I have a betta fish, so would that conditioner work ok? I would love to use live plants, but what kind of substrate and lighting do i need for the plants? Can i use plants that i get from my local farmers market for the ground portion of the tank? I have found some very pretty ones that i want to use. Also, if i put some small feeder gold fish in the tanks, Will the newt eat them? The reason i want one is because i found someone re homing there newt and its a very horrible setup lol. I want to give it a better one xD

03/20/16  02:32pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: GirlyHerpy   In reference to Message Id: 2317498

Yes, the water conditioner for your betta is okay to use, which is also the same as for regular fish-some pet stores market "Betta supplies as just for bettas" and can charge more.

The plants will all depend on the tank set up. The easiest setup would be a fish tank that is 1/4 the way full. With rocks and décor that go above the water line to make little islands. In that case, use regular fish tank gravel and you can buy plants that you would use for a fish tank-from the pet store/pond shop. Some plants that they sell for fish tanks are semi-aquatic-where they will grow above with their roots wet-Such as amazon swords, crypt swords and a few grasses. I have the best luck with low-light plants-like java fern and crypt swords. (The java fern is aquatic, but you can tie it on a décor/log/rock and does not need to be "planted")

I use a plant florescent bulb and change it every 6-12 months. (Also if you go this method, cleaning is easy-just fill up the tank to half way with treated water and use a gravel vacuum to take the water level back down)

I would not get gold fish...they actually can get pretty big and they make a mess of the water. If you want fish, I would get Zebra Danios, White Clouds, or even guppies-they should be too fast for the newt to catch. They stay small, active, and all can tolerate lower tank temps (most other fish like it about 78 degrees and newts like 60-75). Try some ghost shrimp or nerite snails too!

Try googling: Riparium for newts. You can get some cool ideas from that! Hope this all made sense and helped...Plus it sounds like you are going to give this little guy an awesome home!!!

03/25/16  06:42pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area