Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Joepom91   Crotus   Joepom91   Crotus  

Member  Message

Joepom91
View Profile

Oregon newts

Hello, I had owned some Chinese firebellies a while back before I left for the military. Always saw Oregon newts on this forum and in pet stores. Now I would like to own some and I can’t find them anywhere! Anyone know of sites online or people breeding them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -joe

04/19/15  09:00am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Joepom91   In reference to Message Id: 2313271

Oregon newts

Well, they are harder to find on the market these days because they are now protected legally in many areas, but you might want to check some online sources like reptilecity.com or reptilesncritters.com, Good luck
Actually I think however the Chinese firebellies are hardier, and rather similar, so why not try them again?

04/25/15  04:10pm

Joepom91
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2313354

Oregon newts

Hmm I’m not sure. I just really think they look great with that orange belly and brown skin. I wanted some when I was a teenager and didn’t have the cash to get them, so I got the Cynops orientalis.

04/29/15  11:25am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Joepom91   In reference to Message Id: 2313397

Oregon newts

I just researched this for you and found an online dealer that has rough skinned newts (Taricha granulosa) which are very similar to the newts you remember, check it out please: http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/newts-for-sale.html
Their prices seem a little high though, so if you are on a limited budget, you may just want to go with the Chinese firebellies, I once kept some in an aqua-terrarium which I made myself by gluing a low glass partition into a 10 gallon tank with silicone rubber sealant, and I had a land area and a water area... I thought they made great pets, for some reason they stayed mostly on the land area under rocks but occasionally swam in the water area. They had good appetites and loved to eat small crickets and worms which I would wiggle before them on a straw. They seem to be a little on the fragile side however, and can get sick if the substrate and water are not always kept 100% clean, but I highly recommend them as an interesting and affordable species. So consider the options please, and keep me posted about what you decide.

05/05/15  07:23am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area