Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jackettbeardie02   Crotus   Jackettbeardie02   Crotus   Jackettbeardie02   Crotus  

Member  Message

Jackettbeardie02
View Profile

Florida salamanders???

Hi guys I live in south west Florida and was wondering where I could find some salamanders. I’ve caught some in ohio before and I would like to find some here. I live on the water but it’s salt water. Where else could I find one ?? Thanks

04/23/14  08:42am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jackettbeardie02   In reference to Message Id: 2304772

Florida salamanders???

Hi, I live in South Florida also (Miami area) but unfortunately I must tell you that the southern part of the state has very few types of salamanders, mainly because it is too tropical here and the habitat is not quite right for them, lacking vernal ponds and temperate type woodlands. There are a few aquatic types such as peninsula newts, sirens and amphiumas, but that’s about it. If you travel up to the northern part of the state however, there is a much wider selection to be found there because there are is right types of woodland habitat, freshwater ponds, etc, and up there you can find 4 types of ambystomatids -- marbled, mole, flatwoods, and tiger salamanders (the flatwoods however, is rare and endangered) and also among the lungless group, slimy, dusky, southern red, 3-lined, and some others, up to about 2 dozen types in all, I believe.

04/23/14  01:30pm

Jackettbeardie02
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2304775

Florida salamanders???

I know there are not that many here and that sucks because not many pet stores sell them but I have caught one at a local park a couple years ago but I didn’t keep it. I thought it was a marble but I didn’t take any pictures so I’m not sure.

04/23/14  02:28pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jackettbeardie02   In reference to Message Id: 2304776

Florida salamanders???

Oh really -- to my knowledge there are no terrestrial types in the southernmost part of the state except one tiny species called the dwarf salamander. However, a number of species can be found as far south as the Tampa Bay area; I think the slimy salamander (a medium sized type that is black with white speckling) is fairly common there in the pinelands. (Can you describe what yours looked like?) As far as I know the marbled is found only from the Suwannee River north into the panhandle.

Unlike salamanders, lizards are very common in the southern part of the state, but these of course have claws and dry scaly skin. You may have captured a small ground skink or similar type of lizard.

04/23/14  03:08pm

Jackettbeardie02
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2304781

Florida salamanders???

It was a shiny grey with large white blotches with a fat tail and about 3 1/2 inches long. I found it under a wet log while camping at a park. Can I pm you?

04/23/14  05:57pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jackettbeardie02   In reference to Message Id: 2304785

Florida salamanders???

Hmm, that really does sound like a marbled. I am wondering, if you found it here in Florida, were you someplace upstate? Yes, of course you may pm me, I would like to know more. :-)

04/24/14  01:22pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area