Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Spizzler   Crotus   Crotus  

Member  Message

Spizzler
View Profile

Wild baby salamander, possibly hurt.

hey, wats up all. mom was doin some gardening and dug up this baby salamander and thought she might have hurt it. i have it in an enclosure to keep it from bein easy bird food. i looked it up and i think its a jefferson.

i havent gotten to the pet store to get forest moss and other things. any advice on how i can make sure it will eat? and what it will and wont eat. i gather dirt from the spot it was dug up from and there isopods (babys small enought to fit in its mouth) to small spiders and tiny worms as well. im sure it will like the worms, but i dont know about the spiders and im skeptical about the isopods as they usually keep to themselves and the pet normally does the same when in an enclosure together. once i get the moss i wont reintroduce the "roommates" it has now, but since i got the dirt from where it chose to hide and the fact its wild i dont think it will be too bothered for the time being. so to sum it up, ive never owned a salamander and any constructive advice would be appreciated. thx

04/08/14  12:39pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Spizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2304471

Don’t worry, they will need any small invertebrates including worms, insects, isopods etc but are rather shy and usually hunt at night, so just drop in the food and let him catch it... looks quite healthy in the picture, doesn’t look hurt... I actually think it may be a slimy salamander (Plethodon glutinosus)

04/18/14  02:28pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2304681

I meant to say, "they will eat any small invertebrates" :-)
You can tell if it’s a slimy salamander because like all members of the lungless group, these have a groove running from the nostril to the lip (nasolabial groove) with which they sample odors from the substrate to hunt prey. This helps them do it because, having no lungs, they can’t smell in the normal way.

04/18/14  02:33pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area