Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

NikkE   Crotus   Herpseeker   Crotus  

Member  Message

NikkE
View Profile

Tiger Salamander isnt usually wrinkly! :(

Greetings! I recently rescued a tiger salamander from a parking lot in Northern Alberta. Where I found him, was in a whole shopping center, some of it undeveloped and pond like. This is now being quickly developed before our harsh northern winters, so his natural territory (where he came from i assume) is no more. Finding an adult Tiger Salamander is rare here, heck ive lived here 27 years and have never seen one until now!, Our fall is short, or winters come early and they are harsh. Here Salamanders do not easily reach the adult transformations(sept-oct-nov), or those that do rarely survive the winter.

When I found him, I took him home and placed him in a bin with moist cocoanut husk soil. He has a water dish, and his appetite is big. He is usually quite plump, his tail is rounder, but today I noted that his sides looked rather wrinkly and I am concerned. I do not know enough about aquatic amphibians to know their illnesses.

The photo server isn’t working for me right now...but I will upload tomorrow if possible.

IF anyone has info or personal experience with this please, ide love to hear from you. I care deeply for this little guy of mine, head over heels for him really and I want to make sure he is at his healthiest.

Cheers!

10/24/13  01:14am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: NikkE   In reference to Message Id: 2301910

Try to post a picture so we can see more clearly what you are describing. However, in my experience with amphibians, if an animal has a good appetite it is usually healthy.

12/19/13  03:12pm

Herpseeker
View Profile

Message To: NikkE   In reference to Message Id: 2301910

I think i know what you are talking about, is it when it’s bending it’s body and shedding that’s when i notice he has a few wrinkles.

01/01/14  10:07pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2302843

Hey, I think you’re right, I have seen when they are shedding that they start to look that wasy, then shed their entire skin sometimes in just one or two pieces, like a glove.

01/10/14  03:27pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area