Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Zebrafrog25   Crotus   Crotus   Crotus  

Member  Message

Zebrafrog25
View Profile

Mystery salamanders

hey guys i got 5 salamanders a couple weeks ago and was wondering what kind they are, they are a greenish brown and have little yellow spots on them i would post some pics but i dont know how to and if this helps i live in arizona and these salamanders are native to arizona.i searched online everywhere and couldnt find anything.thanks

07/23/13  04:25pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Zebrafrog25   In reference to Message Id: 2299886

Mystery salamanders

Sounds to me like they are probably tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) which are very widespread throughout most of the US, including Arizona, which does not have many other kinds. There are various subspecies with different coloration, but they all are large and heavy bodied (when fully grown), with wide blunt heads and rather small eyes; some varieties are greenish in overall color.

07/24/13  03:54pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2299919

Mystery salamanders

Here is a picture of one that has greenish color -- do yours look anything like it?

http://www.californiaherps.com/noncal/northwest/nwsalamanders/images/ammelanostictumidjh508.jpg

07/24/13  03:57pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2299920

Mystery salamanders

I have researched this further and found that tiger salamanders are actually the only type of salamander native to Arizona, so if they were found locally, they would have to be that species. They probably are the subspecies "nebulosum" (the Arizona tiger salamander).

07/25/13  12:28pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area