Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shayshay   Crotus   Shayshay   Crotus   Zebrafrog25  

Member  Message

Shayshay
View Profile

Salamander food

K so I’ve got some salamander larvae that hatched about a week ago. I’m not sure what they’re supposed to eat. I heard that they eat their egg shells for the first week?if that’s true then what about after a week? What should they eat then? Lettuce?

04/15/13  12:57pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Shayshay   In reference to Message Id: 2295683

Salamander food

No, frog tadpoles eat lettuce and other vegetable foods during that phase, but salamander larvae are carnivorous from the minute they hatch. Yes I think they do feed off the yolk for a couple of days right after hatching (amphibian eggs have no shells) but they then begin feeding on tiny aquatic organisms such as daphnia (water fleas), copepods, etc., later graduating to tiny worms, pinhead crickets, etc.
The small organisms that newly hatched larvae require can most easily be provided to them simply by transferring some slightly cloudy pond water that contains them (you can see them swimming around in the water with jerky motions if you look carefully)... Be careful however not to transfer any waterbugs, dragonfly larvae etc that could turn the tables and prey on the salamander larvae.

04/15/13  06:03pm

Shayshay
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2295696

Salamander food

Thanks ill do whatever u said ;)

04/18/13  02:30pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Shayshay   In reference to Message Id: 2295870

Salamander food

I recommend that you scoop a little bottom mud or algae from the pond where you found the eggs -- it will be bound to contain some of the plankton I mentioned -- but again, please be careful to avoid transferring any harmful insects such as waterbugs or dragonfly nymphs.

04/22/13  04:11pm

Zebrafrog25
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2296083

Salamander food

they will also eat worms too. depending on what type they are. :P

06/18/13  12:24pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area