Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shayshay   The Lone Glider   Shayshay   The Lone Glider   Shayshay   The Lone Glider   Shayshay  

Member  Message

Shayshay
View Profile

Hey I’m new here:) I have a problem with my salamander eggs.

Ok so 2 days ago I brought home some Salamander eggs. We have a big pond in our property so I go there often. I brought home 2 different kinds, I think. I put them in a plastic container. Theres lots of room for them. I mixed their natural water from the pond and mixed it with filtered water. (I didn’t have spring water and I still don’t) so is filterd water ok for them?
Anyway so some larvae hatched while I was gone, and when I came back they were all lying on their sides at the bottom of the container. I think they died so I removed them:( why did this happen? I don’t want all my eggs to end up like that. The other ones still have t hatched yet so I’m hoping that I can do something about this issue. I’m putting some eggs back into the pond today. Someone please help!
Thank u:)

03/29/13  09:16pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Shayshay   In reference to Message Id: 2294609

I’d put them all back.. You can’t just take wild eggs inside your home and expect to hatch them.. If you want to hatch out some eggs buy some from a breeder and ask how to hatch and whatnot. You can watch the eggs when you release them and watch them grow that way, but don’t take them inside.. Captive bred animals hatch differently then wild animals. They are used to different things if that makes sense.. For their sake just put them back and find a breeder you can buy from after you learn EVERYTHING there is to know about hatching eggs and how to take care of them.. and As for why those died, It could have been for any number of reasons.. Its hard to pin down an exact pinpoint of what did it. The Chlorine in the water didn’t help though. Never get an animal unless you are sure you can take care of it properly, have everything and have done as much research as possible..

03/30/13  01:16am

Shayshay
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294617

Thanks. I don’t get it cuz ive hatched eggs before. And the water is not chlorinated. And if I would keep them should I keep them outside? All the other eggs are alive. Ik lots of people who catch salamander eggs and their eggs r fine...

03/31/13  12:08am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Shayshay   In reference to Message Id: 2294683

Maybe, But tings can and will go wrong and why try? why take an animal out of the wild if you don’t need to? Its just really not fair to them. and what if something does go wrong? that is on the persons head who did it to them, whether they meant to or not. If you want to hatch something go to a breeder and see if you can intern for them, or if you can buy some of their eggs. It would be better all the way around..

03/31/13  03:25pm

Shayshay
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294713

Ok do I did a little research and figured out that the ones that hatched out, hatched early so that’s why they died;( the rest all hatched out and they’re fine. I really would go to a breeder but my parents wouldn’t even bother looking for one:( I’m gonna release almost all of them. I might keep 1 or 2. They’re growing fast.

04/02/13  05:50pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Shayshay   In reference to Message Id: 2294890

Why don’t you find one? It isn’t that hard. and If you are SUPER SUPER careful..... keeping 1 or 2 shouldn’t hurt.... hopefully... Just be careful. remember these are live animals and very delicate... post some pictures and your set up and them. maybe I can help a little more.

04/05/13  06:39am

Shayshay
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295064

Sure um... There’s just one problem... Idk how to post pics with my ipod:/ how do I post pics through my ipod? And one other thing is that I figured out that they were acually frog eggs.

04/08/13  12:41pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area