Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   Crotus   KitKat12   Crotus  

Member  Message

KitKat12
View Profile

???

I just found two salamanders and I looked to see what kind they were and it said I have a savannah slimy salamander. So what do they eat?

01/11/13  12:39pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2289371

???

Well, they eat small invertebrates like insects, baby earthworms, woodlice (Isopods) etc. You can try keeping them in a woodland terrarium with some damp soil on the bottom, topped with flat shale rocks and leaves for them to hide under. Just drop in the food items for them to hunt... Plant a few ferns or other small low light plants, and keep the top securely covered with a screen lid (5 or 10 gal tank recommended) Keep in a cool place with good daylight for the plants but not exposed to direct sunlight.

Post a picture? :-)

01/11/13  03:35pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2289386

???

Never mind somehow they got out of the tank but I will try to find more.

01/11/13  06:13pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2289394

???

Well, as you can see they are great escape artists, able to scale glass by pressing their bellies against it, that’s why it is so important for you to have a secure lid, but a screened one to allow for ventilation. I recommend getting a 5. (Or 10) gallon tank at a store like Petsmart, with a screened top to fit it. Also you can get a supply of small crickets there for them to eat, if you don’t want to have to collect food for them... Make sure to get the small size of course.

I once lived in Georgia years ago when I was a kid and was very excited by the large slimy salamanders I used to find in the pine-oak forests there. This makes me feel nostalgic for those times! Now I live in South Florida where there are a lot of lizards but no salamanders; to see them I have to take a trip north of a couple hundred miles.

01/13/13  04:55pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2289578

???

how big do they get i just found another one today and all i have in the tank is damp soil, a pretty big rock and a piece of tile to get under is that fine for right now?

02/07/13  07:36pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2291557

???

Yes, that really is all they need... You might want to also scatter a few dead leaves on the soil, or maybe a small log or piece of bark, to give them a variety of hiding places... Make sure to spray the tank with water once or twice daily to keep the substrate adequately moist. Also, make sure to keep a secure lid on the top (but well ventilated). Can you post a picture of it? :-)
PS. They are medium sized salamanders, a really big one can be about 7-1/2" or maybe 8" long.

02/10/13  04:05pm

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2291746

???

ok thanks but how can i get the food for it?

02/10/13  08:21pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2291772

???

Well, they eat all types of small insects and worms... but the insects need to be small enough to fit in their mouths. if you can find very small baby earthworms in your garden, or under rocks or logs in the woods, those will work (watch out for poisonous spiders or snakes when you do this)... Also small insects like baby crickets etc. (avoid ants, they might harm the salamanders), or isopods (sowbugs).
Just drop some of these into the tank and the salamanders will come of their hide spots at night and hunt for them.

Alternatively, if you don’t want the hassle of having to look for insects, you could buy some crickets (the small size) at a pet store that sells herps, such as PetSmart. If you do this, it is best to start a small cricket colony so you will be able to keep the crickets alive for a while and use them as needed... they can be kept in a plastic container with some holes punched in the lid, egg crates for them to crawl on, and some moistened pebbles in a tray for water; another tray containing fish food flakes as food for the crickets.

02/11/13  01:16pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area