Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Justme727   Crotus   Kelpieprancer  

Member  Message

Justme727
View Profile

Axolotl feeding help

i dont know if anyone here has axolotls but i picked up an axolotl at the expo 2 weeks ago. i have wanted one for a looooong time. i have researched them for hrs upon hrs. i wasnt expecting to pick this one up, i was actually looking for millipedes. but there were none and i felt sorry for this little one. it was a quarter of the regular price because of a mutation above the eye. the woman was adament that it find a good, non breeding home. after talking with her for a time, i guess my knowledge met her requirements. she said it was eating fine even though the mutation probably impaired its’ vision. it was being fed on axolotl pellets and she gave me a small bag of them. but now it is not eating them. it is about 2 inches, gfp leucistic. it does not react to movement on the side of the mutation the same as it does to movement on the normal side. i hav got it to eat a pellet here and there. i tried every food i had on hand: freeze dried tubifex, frozen brine shrimp, pieces of turtle pellets, pellet fish food, frozen tubifex, a piece of chicken... anything with protein that i had. i was getting desperate. it took me some time to find a place that sells pesticide/fungicide/fertilizer free live worms small enough for the little thing. i finally found some red wigglers. it has been eating those, cut into thirds. but it is not feeding well.
it is in a ten gallon tank, about half full. an internal filter with a spray bar. 3 hides of various sizes with rocks and plants to hide around. the water is 66 degrees f.
any help or tips would be appreciated!!

02/14/12  03:50pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Justme727   In reference to Message Id: 2255253

Axolotl feeding help

Red wigglers, at least the type I am familiar with, have a nasty latex-like secretion, especially when you cut them into sections, that can be distasteful (or possibly perhaps even toxic) to amphibians... for this reason, I suggest that you use nightcrawlers instead, which are much more palatable to them... however, these are definitely harder to keep alive for long periods, unless you keep them refrigerated. But give them a try -- you may have some better luck with them.

02/21/12  07:01pm

Kelpieprancer
View Profile

Message To: Justme727   In reference to Message Id: 2255253

Axolotl feeding help

Awh, bless the little thing : i hope all is going well, i have been feeding mile little shrimps and they seem to enjoy it? i tend to wriggle them around a bit and they gulp them up after a while of chewing :P

03/18/12  01:41pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area