Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ashmash   Crotus   Ashmash   Crotus   Ashmash   Crotus   Herpseeker  

Member  Message

Ashmash
View Profile

Does size matter?

Can I house 2 different sized fire bellied newts together? I have a 9 year old newt and just bought a baby. They are separated for now, but I would like to put them together.

01/20/12  02:00pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2251858

Does size matter?

How great is the actual size difference between them? Chinese FBNs (Cynops orientalis) are a small species, usually growing to only about 4", and are very peaceful by nature. So as long as it doesn’t look like the baby could fit into the adult’s mouth (after being mistaken by it as food) it should probably be OK...

Can you post a picture of them so I can see the size difference? Also, my advice applies only to FBNs and not to paddletail newts (Pachytriton) which are very aggressive and possibly cannibalistic from what I have I have heard.

By the way, in my experience, if placed in an aquaterrarium with both land and water areas, FBNs seem to like to spend a lot of time on the land area, hiding under rocks, moss clumps, etc. which suggests that they may be mainly terrestrial outside of the breeding season... so I recommend housing them in a setup with a spacious land area as well as a water area... here is a picture of one of my newt setups (I use a strip of glass as a divider, sanded on the edges and fixed in with silicone sealant):

01/22/12  01:49am

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2252134

Does size matter?

My one FBN is 9 years old. He was given to me from a friend and had spent his whol life in a critter keeper with a little island and was only fed pellets. I’ve got him in a 10 gal with a filter and a big piece of wood coming out to create land. I never actually see him out of the water. He’s about 8 or so inches long. The baby is about 4". So far they have been fine together.

I’ve seen a lot of people say that CFBNs are short and that the JFBNs have bumpy skin. Mine is long with smooth skin. What kind is he?

And thank you for the reply!

01/22/12  10:38am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2252156

Does size matter?

8 inches definitely sounds like it’s too large to be an FBN; the CFBNs grow to only 4 or 5 inches and the JFBNs to about 5 or 6 inches at the very most... there are many look-alike species including the paddletail newts (Pachytriton) that I mentioned, crocodile newts (Paramesotriton) which grow a little larger, have a somewhat bony or armored appearance and bellies colored black with distinct, round red spots... also there are our native California, rough-skinned and red-bellied newts (genus Taricha) which can grow up to 7 or 8 inches and have golden irises (except the red-bellied’s which is brown) and uniformly colored red or orange bellies. If they were found in the field in your area it would be one of those.

Which of these sounds like what you have? If you can post a picture, I believe I can probably help you to better pin down the identification...

By the way, if one of them has really lived for 9 years so far I think that is a remarkable achiement in terms of longevity and you must be doing something right! :-)

01/22/12  02:27pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2252206

Does size matter?

The newt I have is 9 years old, but I have only had him for less than a year. His previous owner got him from a petstore and all she knew about him was that he was a salamander. I thought he was a fire bellied newt but now I’m thinking he is a paddle tailed newt.

I just moved him into a 20 gal tall tank and now he has about 8 inches of water. There is also a land area but it’s not too big. I am looking for some other hides to put in with him now. Any suggestions?

01/22/12  07:11pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2252293

Does size matter?

Well, as you can see in the picture I posted, I like to use small, flat pieces of shale rock (propped up at the corners by smaller rocks to make caves, but make sure it’s holding securely) and my newts seem to like to hide in these... also clumps of sphagnum or other similar mosses can work.

Could you try to post a picture of your newts to help verify their identification? If they are paddletails, I personally have not kept that species but was under the impression that they are aggressive so I am a little surprised that your 2 specimens are living together peacefully.

All you need to post a picture is a digital camera; you may need to compress the size of the picture file using Microsoft Picture Manager, then load the picture into your photo gallery here. Then when you post something on this forum, click on "Get your photo album" to add the picture to your post.

01/23/12  11:12am

Herpseeker
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2252293

Does size matter?

If he is a paddletail, get him out of the tank with the fire belly, paddle tails are known to be territorial and aggressive even towards their own species.

08/31/12  09:41am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area