Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ninja lizard   Ninja lizard   SkinksGalore  

Member  Message

Ninja lizard
View Profile

Spotted Salamander help

A few days ago me and my dad were moving our wood pile and a the the very bottom we found a little salamander(2-3inches). So we looked it up and was a spotted salamander. I put it in a 10 gallon tank and put some terrarium moss, a cave and a water dish with rocks on the bottom and i mist it every day.
The problem is he/she is not eating. I’ve tried crickets and I’m going to try night crawlers today. can some one help me... am i doing something wrong... is there any other foods i could try... any thing please i really want to keep him, its my first salamander.

08/01/11  11:24am

Ninja lizard
View Profile

Message To: Ninja lizard   In reference to Message Id: 2231276

Spotted Salamander help

he still hasn’t ate i think i might let him go tomorrow... my mom said i can get one from the petstore soon... what is a easy sally for beginners?... i mean like i have a had a whole range of reptiles and stuff but never a sally or newt

08/02/11  03:38pm

SkinksGalore
View Profile

Message To: Ninja lizard   In reference to Message Id: 2231465

Spotted Salamander help

Spotted salamanders are very easy to care for, he might have been spooked from the capture or maybe sick or something but any salamander from the mole salamander family will be quite easy to care for. They are pigs and are usually hiding but all you need is dirt and moss as a substrate, a water dish big enough for them to submerse themselves into and a hiding spot which can just be a piece of bark or something simple like that. Thats all you need for any salamander in the mole salamander family. You just spray them once a day, clean their water dish daily and feed them once or twice a week. not too much because they will get obese very easily since they dont move much. Let me know if you have any questions about specific species and I will be happy to help:)

11/24/11  04:36am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area