Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dyzired   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Crotus   Crotus   Buliki   Buliki  

Member  Message

Dyzired
View Profile

New fire belly newt owner??

Hello...so I just purchased two baby fire belly newts last night. They are probably 2-2.5 inches from head to tail.. I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank..its about half filled with water..I have a floating ramp in there (like for a turtle) and another decoration for them to climb out of the water. I have a simple filter for a 10-20 gal tank that doesnt cause too much disturbance in the water...some fake plants in the ground and sort of floating for them to hide in..rocks on the bottom and a plastic tube (like for a hamster) on the bottom for them to hide in and get some shade. I also just have a regular lamp over half the tank during the day. I fed them last night some frozen bloodworms. I saw one eat some of them and the other just isnt interested in swimming. He likes to be out of the water more. So I dont know if he ate or not. I bought some little newt food today..like tiny pellets. I dont know if thats good for them though or not?

please tell me how I can improve my tank for them. I dont know if any of this stuff I have is bad?
any advice would be appreciated. Also, can I add any more newts at their size? or is 2 too many already?

05/21/11  08:34pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Dyzired   In reference to Message Id: 2220302

I’m not sure , it sounds pretty good, it might be crowded though. How much land do they have? do you have a filter? Allot of people will say a ten gallon for two is way to small, but I think its fine. you might not want to get more until Crotus (the expert on here) says how many would be happy in a ten gallon ..

05/22/11  09:19am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2220345

Hi guys... you may have seen this before, it’s my newt setup, made from a 10 gallon tank, with a strip of glass (sanded along the edges) glued with silicone sealant to make a water area of about 1/3 of the tank, the rest is land...

Currently I have 2 red-spotted newts, which seem to spend most of their time in the water, and 3 Chinese firebellies, which like to hide under the rocks on land most of the time but occasionally take a dip in the water also... technically I’m not sure if you should mix these 2 species but I’m short on space so I cheated a little and tried it. They seem to get along OK, but I wouldn’t add any more because that would almost certainly be overcrowding them. I have thought about either upgrading them to a new 15 gallon or making 2 tanks. But they all seem to have good appetites, feeding mainly on small crickets or tiny earthworms that I dangle from a broomstraw. I have noticed that they often snap at food more eagerly when they are in the water, perhaps because they can smell the food... newts like this can sometimes be coto take pelleted foods but you would need to use small pellets that are well moistened, and would probably have more luck when they are in the water. But you would need to be careful not to get the water dirty, because they can succumb to serious fungal diseases if the water is not clean.

05/23/11  04:57pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2220634

Hi guys... you may have seen this before, it’s my newt setup, made from a 10 gallon tank, with a strip of glass (sanded along the edges) glued with silicone sealant to make a water area of about 1/3 of the tank, the rest is land...

Currently I have 2 red-spotted newts, which seem to spend most of their time in the water, and 3 Chinese firebellies, which like to hide under the rocks on land most of the time but occasionally take a dip in the water also... technically I’m not sure if you should mix these 2 species but I’m short on space so I cheated a little and tried it. They seem to get along OK, but I wouldn’t add any more because that would almost certainly be overcrowding them. I have thought about either upgrading them to a new 15 gallon or making 2 tanks. But they all seem to have good appetites, feeding mainly on small crickets or tiny earthworms that I dangle from a broomstraw. I have noticed that they often snap at food more eagerly when they are in the water, perhaps because they can smell the food... newts like this can sometimes be coaxed to take pelleted foods but you would need to use small pellets that are well moistened, and would probably have more luck when they are in the water. But you would need to be careful not to get the water dirty, because they can succumb to serious fungal diseases if the water is not clean.

05/23/11  05:44pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2220648

Hi, I wanted to show you a few pictures of some of the newts themselves. Here is one of the Chinese firebellies. He likes to hide under the rocks in the land section but occasionally goes for a dip in the water, usually at night:

Here are the red-spotted newts. When they are young, they go through a "red eft" phase when they are bright orange, but unfortunately perhaps, when they grow older, their color fades to a dull olive-green (although they still keep the 2 rows of tiny red spots on the back).

05/24/11  01:20pm

Buliki
View Profile

Message To: Dyzired   In reference to Message Id: 2220302

OK well to be honest I’m 14 so if the imformation you wanted wasn’t provided which I’m sure it will and my spelling is a little off I do opoligize. First you were saying that one of the newts wasn’t going in the water well that’s because when there young they spend most of there time on land when grown up there basicly fully aqubetic. Blood worms are perfect. Also you wanted to know about housing well a ten gal tank could house about six newts depending on your setup but you could keep them with guppies and some people dont recremend it, but you can keep them with fire belly toads if you want they get along great. I would not recremend handling them without protection gloves you would find at the doctors would be fine because you have oils on your skin that could harm them because they absorb stuff through there skin. Hope this was help full :-)

01/06/12  06:52am

Buliki
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2220775

Ya that looks perfect my set up is way different but ya remember there almost fully aquabetic when fully grown so and more water and have fun make sure they can hide somewhere so there not stressed and feed them well

01/06/12  07:49am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area