Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Felocha/twizzler   Crotus  
 Member  Message

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

Good idea?

i may be getting a NEW salamander for my birthday. i have a 7 1/2 inch barred tiger salamander currently in a large aquarium. i am hoping to get a DIFFERENT species.

would it be a good idea to house them together?

how long does my new salamander have to be so that my current one down not eats him?

05/13/11  09:51pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2218919

Good idea?

Well, your tiger may not be fully grown -- they can sometimes eventually grow to 10 or 11 inches in length or even more... that’s why I think it’s a much better idea to just put another tiger with him, if you have the space... the spotted salamander is not too much smaller but is much more timid than the tiger, as well as more delicate, so would best be kept separately. I think this advice would apply to almost every other species of salamander I can think of... salamanders may have some social instincts similar to fish that live in schools, so generally they feel most at home when they are kept in a group of individuals of their own species. If you do it that way, you will have fewer problems and will also have the added bonus of observing special behaviors like how they breed (if you are lucky).

05/15/11  03:41pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area