Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Felocha/twizzler   Crotus   Felocha/twizzler   Crotus   Felocha/twizzler   Crotus   Felocha/twizzler   Crotus   Felocha/twizzler   Crotus   Posted5   Crotus   Posted5   Crotus   Buliki  

Member  Message

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

I would greatly appreciate a new salamander.

i live in new mexico and am looking for any kind of salamander. i would love to have a marble salamander or a blue speckled salamander. if you live in another state and i will send you the shipping money AFTER i receive the salamander. i would prefer the shipping to be near or in the state because i will not pay for a dead animal. please let me know if you have ANY unwanted amphibians. reply or e-mail me.

05/08/11  01:45pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2217998

I want to recommend to you reptilecity.com, they have a pretty good selection (marbled, spotted, tiger, European fire, Chinese firebelly newt), prices can be a little high sometimes but they’ll throw in free overnight shipping for orders of $100 or more.

Besides some nice salamanders, I also bought some clown treefrogs from them, which I think are really cool, here are some pictures:

Here are some pictures of a group of marbled salamanders in my collection:

Please remember if you keep salamanders that they need a tank with a moist soil-based substrate, plenty of hide spots like rock caves, moss clumps, etc., and lots of small crickets or earthworms to eat. But perhaps most importantly, they need cool temperatures to do well, so preferably they should be kept in an air conditioned room if you live in a hot climate.

05/08/11  03:58pm

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2218015

i love those frogs and the marble salamander is one of my favorites! i checked out your suggested site and did find some interesting salamanders that i would like to purchase. however i do not have a lot of money and am looking for people that need to get rid of salamanders and or salamander tadpoles. i found you advise very useful and appreciate your reminder tips. if you come across anyone that wants to sell any sallies, please let me know.

05/08/11  09:19pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2218091

You have very good taste, marbled salamanders are one of my all-time favorites also; they can be quite delicate however. Probably few individual hobbyists will want to take the risk of shipping very delicate creatures like this at their own expense; this is why I suggest that you try to save a little money and buy your animals from a company like Reptile City. They actually will do free shipping on orders over $100, so you’re saving $35 or so right there, and also I’m pretty sure they have a live arrival guarantee. So please consider giving them a try...

Marbled salamanders, and many other small types, are very shy creatures in general, and very often they will insist on catching their food (small crickets, worms, etc.) themselves. You just toss the prey items in the evening and let them hunt for them. But at least one large species, the tiger salamander, is almost incredibly outging by comparison and can be easily trained to take food items right from your hand. I have one in my collection (the barred subspecies) that actually became a little too fat from overfeeding, so I’m trying to feed him a little less to help him lose a little excess weight! Here is a picture of him:

These are pretty tough as salamanders go and have interesting personalities. Please don’t keep them with smaller salamanders though because they might think it’s dinner!

05/09/11  01:49pm

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2218181

i didn’t know that the marbled salamander was like that. learn something new everyday! and i may just have to start saving some money up if thats i really am looking for. i will try to put a picture of my salamander ,smiles, so that you can see him. he is a barred tiger salamander also. if you need help getting your salamanders weight down just let me know and i will give you the name of the expert i talk to. he has helped me [a lot].

05/09/11  06:40pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2218212

Awesome -- you have a barred tiger also? Post a picture please if you can!

05/10/11  11:29am

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2218310

it take me a minute or so cuz ill have to bring him to our computer room. my computer in my room is not working and i need the internet to upload the pics. i’m using my parents computer right now. :) i WILL get some pics up asap for you though.

05/10/11  09:26pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2218387

Why not take a picture with a digital camera, then transfer the pictures to your computer by USB port? That’s how I do it. The pictures are best compressed later (using Microsoft Picture Manager) to make them more easily uploadable.

05/11/11  12:48pm

Felocha/twizzler
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2218467

hmmm...i tried but it said that the file was to big to upload :( i was wandering. my birth day is coming up and i wanted to ask...would you recomend me to get a blue spotted salamander or a marbled salamander? would they be able to live with smiles?

05/12/11  08:31pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2218719

Yopu need to first compress the picture to a smaller size using Microsoft Picture Manager, then you should be able to upload it.

Marbled and blue-spotted salamanders are too small to keep with a tiger salamander, it is much more powerful than them because of its size and would either steal all their food or actually eat them. Salamanders generally need to be segregated by size.

Marbled salamanders are very shy and delicate compared to tigers. I haven’t kept blue-spotteds but they are another small species which probably is even more delicate temperature-wise because it has a more northerly distribution in the wild. So you should only consider keeping these if you can prepare separate tanks for them which will be kept in a cool area. They can become stressed and even die if the temperatures go into the 80s for very long.

05/15/11  03:33pm

Posted5
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2219225

Crotus,Have your marbled salamanders bred before?

07/17/11  01:22am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Posted5   In reference to Message Id: 2229397

No, I have never managed that, it seems to be difficult to imitate the conditions in which they breed in nature, but I have heard of some cases where hobbyists have managed to breed them.

07/31/11  05:47pm

Posted5
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2231206

Do you keep all of your marbleds in the same tank?

08/06/11  01:01pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Posted5   In reference to Message Id: 2231966

Hey, sorry for the long delay in responding to your question, in my experience marbled salamanders are mellow creatures that are quite tolerant of each other’s company, and do not mind sharing the same rock or clump of moss with one or more others. However, they are definitely on the delicate side compared to, say, tiger salamanders, so you need to take care not to overcrowd them or to let them overheat, also the substrate needs to be just barely moist at all times but not too wet (to prevent fungal diseases). Also the substate should be changed occasionally and be a little on the loose side (not too compacted) to allow them to burrow occasionally if they want.

They seem to have large appetites but never become as tame as tiger salamanders, so you generally have to feed them by just dropping in small crickets, baby earthworms, etc. and allowing them the catch the food items themselves.

12/21/11  06:00pm

Buliki
View Profile

Message To: Felocha/twizzler   In reference to Message Id: 2217998

OK well I don’t have any in wanted amphibians but there is a web site were you can order newts salimanders and other reptiles cheaply I’m not sure about shipping cost but i believe its over night the site is called reptilesncritteres.com

Hope this helped.

01/06/12  06:58am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area