Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Chelsp94   Crotus   Chelsp94   Crotus   Chelsp94   Crotus   Chelsp94  
 Member  Message

Chelsp94
View Profile

Red bellied newt?

We just added a red bellied newt (I think that’s what they’re called) to our family. It was a slight impulse buy which I am a bit ashamed of but we had all the equipement neccesary for the little guy at home and our petstores NEVER have newts available and I’ve wanted one forever. He’s an adorable little fellow and I’ve been researching since we brought him home, but I would love the opinions of people who have or currently own them.

Here’s his current tank.

And the little one himself (or herself) He/she doesn’t have a name yet so little one it is, for now. :P

He’s currently eating pellets but we’re going to pick him up some blood worms really soon. I just wanted advice on nutritional needs and if blood worms are fine and if they can give enough nutrients for him. And if there’s anything I can do to spice up his tank and make him happier. Feel free to post pictures of your set ups. :)

I read somewhere as they age they become more land critters, so I wanted to buy a tank separater and have substrate, rocks and real life plants on one side, and on the other some water. If that’s alright.

Ahhhh! Need opinions! :P

04/11/11  07:54pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Chelsp94   In reference to Message Id: 2213978

Red bellied newt?

looks pretty nice, I like the flat rocks, personally I’m more into real plants than fake ones, but I don’t always have luck with them (I think it might be a lighting issue). I don’t see any water -- have you filled the water area yet? Yes, these newts are semiaquatic and like to swim but also they come out on land regularly, so they are happiest if you have both land and water areas. the land area should have some hiding places, like rock caves, moss clumps, etc. They seem to have greedier appetites when they are in the water, probably because they can smell the food. Mine seem to love to eat small (3/8" or 1/4" long) crickets which I dangle before them on a straw. Many also like small earthworms, but use the non-toxic baby ones from outdoors, not the composting types (red wrigglers, those are bad news in my experience).

Here is a picture of my setup that I created from a 10 gallon tank by gluing in a 4" high glass divider with silicone sealant. (If you do this, allow at least 24 hours for it to cure.)

04/12/11  03:51pm

Chelsp94
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214095

Red bellied newt?

Thanks for the tips :) We’ve been feeding them bloodworms for now because most our petstores don’t carry pinhead crickets and when they do, they go out of stock quickly. The only problem is I don’t think they’re eating as two of them seem to be losing some weight now.

We have tons of water for them and spots for them to climb up on or hide in. They just need to get used to their surroundings and hopefully they can start eating soon.

04/21/11  01:19pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Chelsp94   In reference to Message Id: 2215372

Red bellied newt?

Please try to vary the diet a little if you can, to encourage them to put on some weight. In my experience, most newts will rarely refuse small earthworms. You can use baby ones dug up from your garden or flowerpots, if they are too big they can be cut into smaller sections... the newts will grab them with great gusto, especially when they are in the water, just dangle the worms before them on a piece of straw (to make sure they get them).

As I may have mentioned, I recommend that you avoid using the worms sold as "red wigglers" because in my experience they can be distasteful or even toxic to amphibians, due to a nasty milky substance that they secrete. Nightcrawlers are OK, but they are too big for most newts. Small ones dug up in the garden seem to work best for me.

P.S. When they are in the water, some newts will accept pelleted foods or thawed chunks of brine shrimp, etc., because they can detect them by smell, but you need to be careful not to foul the water with them.

04/21/11  02:04pm

Chelsp94
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2215388

Red bellied newt?

Thanks for the suggestions. I put in a cricket that is a bit bigger than a pinhead and I’ll take it out and find a petstore with pinheads if they don’t eat it. I have pellets but they don’t seem to like them. And I’ll pick up shrimps and other things really soon. :)

04/21/11  04:52pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Chelsp94   In reference to Message Id: 2215427

Red bellied newt?

Cool... but if there’s any way you can find some small earthworms in the garden or the woods after a rain, those I find are a real favorite for many newts and salamanders.

04/22/11  12:52pm

Chelsp94
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2215521

Red bellied newt?

I dug a bit in my backyard and there were only huge ones. But I’ll go dig for more tomorrow, maybe I could find some. :)

04/22/11  09:48pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area