Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Jefwithonef005   ArielW   Jefwithonef005   ArielW   Jefwithonef005   ArielW   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Jefwithonef005   Crotus  
 Member  Message

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Salamander larvae

My friend brought me 100+ Salamander/newt (i dont know what it is) larvae .. what do i do with them?

04/07/11  10:01pm

ArielW
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2213449

Salamander larvae

newt what area do you live in? Are they wild, or were they purchased? If you do some research you should be able to narrow down the species you may have. You should keep them in a twenty gallon tank (long) with some LIVE plants, rocks, and other hiding places. I recommend feeding them blood worms, because they are so small. You can most likely find these at your local pet store, or over the Internet. Do not put a filter in the tank, as it may suck up some of the larvae, you should take a cup, and slowly remove water (Making sure you don’t accidentally remove any larvae) and exchange it with a clean cup of water, that is the same EXACT temperature. If you put in water that is too cold or too hot, they will go into shock, and most likely die.
This should be appropriate housingcare for a few months (depending on the type of salamander
ewt, you may have to wait longer or take action quicker to change the setup for their next stage.)

Good luck with them! Make sure you postask any questions you have to ensure their health.(:

04/08/11  01:58pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: ArielW   In reference to Message Id: 2213525

Salamander larvae

i actually looked and most died, my friend went on a trip and got them..they were wild, i know what to put them in, but i dont know what to do with them when they grow up

04/08/11  05:52pm

ArielW
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2213542

Salamander larvae

Well that makes everything quite a bit easier, now doesn’t it?(:

So like I said you can use a search engine to determine the species you have. Depending on whether they will be aquatic or terrestrial, they will need a customized setup. It’s hard to say exactly what you need, because you don’t know what you have. But if you have a terrestrial salamander
ewt you will most likely need a 3-quarter land, 1-quarter water setup. You can use terrarium dirt for this, then you can do many different things with the water section.. You could just use a large and easy accessible container, or you could get glass custom cut, and place it at an angle, to simulate a puddlepond for your animal. Decorate with LARGE pebblesstones, plants (Alive or fake work, just keep in mind with live plants special lighting and extra care are needed), I personally like vine, a lot of obvious, large crevices (Make sure they can’t get stuck!), and whatever else you would like to add. If they are aquatic, you obviously fill your tank with water, and you’ll most likely need a filter, so you should find on that is safe for the size of you pets. The same go’s for plants, fake or alive work. You may or may not want to cover the bottom of the tank with pebbles, or sand. (Clean the tank often to ensure the health of your cute little guys!) Once you determine the species you can find out how big they generally get, then you can decide whether to split them up, or buy a large tank to house them all.

Hope that helped!(:

04/08/11  06:52pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: ArielW   In reference to Message Id: 2213549

Salamander larvae

im planning on either selling them or letting them go, i am keeping one, but they were actually not pets, like they have pond water, and eat algae. they were found in a pond/ creek but they pets..its hard to explain....sorry..and im positive that they are NOT tadpoles.

04/08/11  07:34pm

ArielW
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2213556

Salamander larvae

Could you post pictures?

04/08/11  09:50pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: ArielW   In reference to Message Id: 2213565

Salamander larvae

yeah just gotta take some...

04/09/11  10:47am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2213614

Salamander larvae

I don’t know if you saw my earlier posting where I showed this, but I once got a shipment of a couple of European fire salamanders, and one of them, a female, apparently had recently given birth to her litter of larvae (in this species, the eggs develop inside the mother and the young are born alive, as larvae). Anyway, after I received her, she dropped one more baby, and I raised it in a small Tupperware container with some gravel on the bottom, securely covered with a lid that had air holes punched in it. It was only about 1-1/2 inches long, and took about 2 months to reach transformation. I experimented with various tiny foods, but super tiny baby earthworms seemed to be its favorite. When it was obviously ready to come out on land, I set up a mound of gravel for it to climb out on, and then I had to make a small woodland terrarium for it to live in. Now, about 2 years later, it has grown to be about 6 inches long, I keep it in a 5 gallon tank but it already needs an upgrade to a 10 gallon.
I named him "Nemo", here are some pictures:

I was a pretty awesome experience, I must tell you, and he (she?) is now my favorite pet... in most other species of salamanders however, the larvae are hatched at a less advanced stage and are really tiny at first, so they can be more difficult. You might want to try some very small live aquatic foods like daphnia, brine shrimp, etc. which probably is the type of thing they would eat at that stage in the wild.

04/13/11  03:13pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214238

Salamander larvae

wait so they arent salamanders? :O wow. they have those little "hairy things" on there head..i thought they were salamanders..they hatched around the fourth..ok ..idk then..

04/13/11  04:44pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2214261

Salamander larvae

Yes, I think you do have some salamander larvae, but unlike the one I showed you which is born alive at an advanced stage, our native salamanders hatch from aquatic egg masses so they are extremely tiny at the time of hatching. The "hairy" looking things you see are the gills, which disappear when the larva transforms into an adult salamander.

I suggest that you try to raise the ones you have left in a similar way but use very tiny food items like the ones I mentioned... you can even get those things naturally by collecting a little pond water with algae in it but make sure there are no harmful critters in it like dragonfly nymphs, etc. which could eat your larvae.

04/14/11  02:50pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214397

Salamander larvae

yes i do give them pond water for food. i had a little problem today. it was one of those "I cant beleive that just happened thing"...they were outside in a glass jar, on my patio, on a stool, in the sun. i went over to put them in the shade (boy was i not thinking) and PLOP! the bottom falls out and breaks. they are flopping all over and the water is quickly draining into the grass.. after screaming for a while , i captured all that i could see...and tons died...:( and i managed to save (i dont know how) maybe 10 of them.. and i was really exited about raising all those..hopefully the ones i have now will live. well i knew something had to wreck today..im used to it...anyways always think when it comes to aanimals .. that was horrible.

04/14/11  04:30pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2214409

Salamander larvae

Sorry about the loss... probably though it would’ve been very difficult to raise that many larvae. I suggest that instead of just a jar, you move the remaining ones into a container, something like the one I used for Nemo, that has a wide bottom so they have plenty of room to swim around, and to put some pebbles on the bottom for them to rest on if they want... also a few sprigs of an aquarium plant like Anacharis or Cabomba can help oxygenate the water and provide a few hiding places for them (so they don’t nip at eachother’s gills).

04/15/11  12:38pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214530

Salamander larvae

it was a really big jar..but thanks..i have about 10 left.

04/15/11  06:47pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2214602

Salamander larvae

Great! that’s not bad -- but I recommend that you set them up in a container that has a wide area to swim around in, remember the water doesn’t have to be too deep, just a few inches will do... a large Tupperware container will work, I like them because they are breakproof... you might want to put the lid on top just to be completely sure that they don’t jump out, but make sure that the lid has some small holes punched into it for ventilation.

04/17/11  04:14pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214850

Salamander larvae

they are only a half inch long. and dont have ANY legs..they couldnt get out, unless they jumped!

04/17/11  04:26pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2214854

Salamander larvae

Yes, but when they grow a little bigger, they’ll grow legs... even when they are small without legs, they sometimes can flip around in the water like fish do, so you might want to use a lid (with air holes) just to be on the safe side.

04/18/11  02:24pm

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2214978

Salamander larvae

This is one of them. they are very tiny so im thinking they will be newts?

i finally figured it out

05/19/11  02:32pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2219969

Salamander larvae

Wow, looking good -- do they have legs yet? They may be newts but they could also be some other type of salamander, it’s hard to tell when they are so small.

Just keep the water clean, maybe put in a few sprigs of an aquatic plant to help oxygenate the water, and give them tiny pond plankton as food, but be careful not to introduce any predacious insect larvae that could harm them.

You see, I told you it wasn’t that difficult to upload pictures... it took me a while also at first.

05/20/11  09:49am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area