Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JadeEliz   Crotus   Dalime   Dalime   JadeEliz   Reptadude   Seahorse   ArielW   Kelpieprancer  

Member  Message

JadeEliz
View Profile

Axolotl

Anyone have any experience with axolotl’s? I recently purchased a 3" long juvenile and am having trouble sorting through all of the conflicting information. What little there is of it anyway! If someone on here has had personal experience with these guys and wouldn’t mind helping a newbie out I have tons of questions! Thanks in advance! :)

03/21/11  09:52pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: JadeEliz   In reference to Message Id: 2210876

Axolotl

I haven’t kept any axolotls yet myself, but do have some experience in keeping tiger salamanders, which are closely related to them... here are some pictures of my pet barred tiger salamander, named Tony:

As you can see he (she?) is quite a handful, with an appetite to match, but its needs are simple, just a spacious tank with a moist soil substrate, a rock cave for shelter, a water pool for soaking, and lots of FOOD! (crickets, earthworms, etc.)
As I mentioned, axolotls are closely related to tiger salamanders but live as permanent aquatic larvae without transforming; if they did transform however, they would look a lot like a tiger salamander. They eat basically the same types of foods but obviously need to be fed in the water. You need to provide as spacious a tank as you can manage, with some type of filtration system to keep the water clean, but gentle enough not to disturb them. It’s probably best not to keep any fish with them because small ones might be eaten, and large ones would tend to nibble on their delicate gills or tail fins.

For more tips, here is a care sheet I found on the web that you might find helpful:

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-Axolotl

03/22/11  02:21pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2210967

Axolotl

I don’t have any and never had, but I did plenty of research on them when I was looking into them, and here are a few things I remember:

juveniles are cannibals so don’t have more than one in a tank

Have around a 20 gallon tank

they originate in Mexico

they will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouths, so have extra large gravel

eat frozen bloodworms and similar things like tubifex

Hope these helped!

03/22/11  08:50pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2211033

Axolotl

oh and btw this might sound weird but I’m psyched you got an axolotl because I want you to keep me posted and tell me if they’re worth buying! =D

03/22/11  08:52pm

JadeEliz
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2211035

Axolotl

Well my set-up at the moment is a 20 Long with black sand, a decorative reptofilter, a rock cave, and some artificial plants. My mom is letting me borrow her 55 gallon so after work tomorrow I will be going by her house and breaking it down. My main concern is that I’ve read their optimum temperature should be between 60-64 degrees and they really shouldn’t be kept higher then 72. I was misled when I purchased him and was told that 75 was fine but so far my research is proving otherwise. Now I’m worried! I have no basement to keep him in and right now (on the floor) his temperature is reading 71. I know I will need to eventually invest in a chiller for him but right now I just don’t have the money... :( I’m nervous to try the frozen water bottles because of the fluctuating temperatures.
On a positive note he is the cutest, oddest little creature I believe I have ever owned and I am really getting attached. :) So far I’ve just fed him some blood-worms and its really neat to watch him eat. He is absolutely adorable when he moves his gills back and forth ( at least in my eyes)! LOL
I’m going to wait until I get the 55 set up, hopefully tomorrow night, and get you guys some pictures!

P.S.
Love the salamander, Very Cute!

03/22/11  10:54pm

Reptadude
View Profile

Message To: JadeEliz   In reference to Message Id: 2211061

Axolotl

I have two axolotls. I love them to death. keep them right and they will grow like weeds!!!

03/22/11  11:00pm

Seahorse
View Profile

Message To: Reptadude   In reference to Message Id: 2211063

Axolotl

Axolotls are probably the neatest creature I have ever seen.
Keep those of us posted that want to hear first hand experience before purchasing one! = )

03/23/11  10:05am

ArielW
View Profile

Message To: Seahorse   In reference to Message Id: 2211099

Axolotl

Yes, that sounds interesting! I would like to know how well it works.(:

04/09/11  09:53pm

Kelpieprancer
View Profile

Message To: Seahorse   In reference to Message Id: 2211099

Axolotl

Ahh, i’m so exited i just got my own axolotl after seeing my friends. I’m stuck on a name though :S i dont even know the gender oowh im a bad mummy already :L they are 10 months and had a couple’O fights already but watching him swim merrily is sooo satisfying! *thumbs up to getting one* :P

03/18/12  01:34pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area