Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Jefwithonef005   Crotus   Kenz36  
 Member  Message

Jefwithonef005
View Profile

Maybe a newt??

Need a complete care sheet for Fire Belly Newts and some tips..Thank You!!!

02/03/11  09:44am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jefwithonef005   In reference to Message Id: 2203040

Maybe a newt??

Here is a fascinating article about the Chinese firebelly (which is the most commonly available form; there are a couple of other, similar types), please read it:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

02/03/11  11:48am

Kenz36
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2203060

Maybe a newt??

I advise you use a search engine to search fire bellied newt care, read all the websites, and use that information to help you buy one /make a habitat. I have two fire bellies for over a year, so here is some tips. Get a ten- twenty gallon tank w/ screen lid ,and fill with medium sized gravel. ( too large to swallow, small enough they will not get trapped.) Use rock, driftwood, or plexiglass to seperate/ make an area with they can get out of the water. ( I use a foam amphibian- safe ramp i got at a pet store) Fill with 3-5 inches of chlorinated water 65-70 degrees. They dont need a light, but keep them away from windows and drafts. Get a small filter that dosent make a strong current, and clean water and gravel every few months. Decorate with hiding places and plants( if you get live, make sure they arent toxic to FBNs.) I feed them a few freeze dried small aquatic shrimps with tweezers every 3-4 days. Hope this helps, but please do more research before buying newts.

08/01/11  02:22pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area