Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Xboxlax   Crotus   Londonjoe   Crotus  
 Member  Message

Xboxlax
View Profile

Can I house a Tiger Salamander and 2 whites tree frogs together?

I am going to get 2 whites tree frogs, and I was wondering if I could also get a tiger salamander and house them all together?

Thanks a lot!

01/05/11  02:55pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Xboxlax   In reference to Message Id: 2196516

I guess you probably could maybe do it if you had to, but it would be much better to set up two tanks because they have different habitat requirements. The WTFs need a vertically oriented tank (20-gal high or more) with plenty of branches and plants to climb on, whereas the tiger salamander is better off with a low-walled, more horizontally spacious (say 15-20 gallon long) tank with plenty of room to roam about, and for hide spots and a large shallow water bowl. Also you could then possibly give the tiger a playmate (another tiger) if you wish...

Here is my own pet barred tiger salamander, named Tony. He’s the only salamander in my collection that has ways of letting me know when he’s hungry:

01/05/11  05:54pm

Londonjoe
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2196567

i have 2 whites treefrog with a fire salamander in a 24inch long tank with 36inch high

01/22/11  06:09am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Londonjoe   In reference to Message Id: 2200240

Most experts advise against mixing different species of amphibians because the toxins secreted by one species can sometimes be harmful to another, and so it is best to be cautious and keep each species separate... another issue is that, if you have separate tanks, it is easier to cater to each species’ specific needs. For example, I also am into fire salamanders but I live in Florida where it can often get a little too warm for them, so I must take extra measures to make sure they are kept cool enough, by keeping them in a low-walled tank (for best ventilation) and keeping this tank on the floor in a cool room. Treefrogs, on the other hand, need a more vertically oriented tank with plenty of climbing room, and are more flexible in their temperature requirements. For these reasons, I have a separate setup for them.

01/25/11  01:24pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area