Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Dalime   Dalime   KSunshine   Dalime   Americanchld   Dalime   Americanchld   Americanchld   Crotus   Dalime   Crotus   Crotus   Dalime   Americanchld   Crotus   Crotus   Dalime   Dalime  
 Member  Message

Dalime
View Profile

Afraid of bugs!!!

There are so many reptiles/amphibians that I could have gotten, but I’m afraid of bugs!!! I don’t know how I’m ever going to get other reptiles or amphibians if I’m scared of bugs!!! There are so many things that I wanna get; like tree frogs or pacman frogs or fire bellied toads... somebody help me!!!

I’m not interested in snakes either...

does anyone have a way for me to overcome the fear??

12/24/10  11:53am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2194188

Afraid of bugs!!!

any help would really be appreciated

12/24/10  01:47pm

KSunshine
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2194221

Afraid of bugs!!!

You can buy freeze dried bugs ;)
Or if you get something that only eats mealworms or waxworms, etc.. you dont have to be worried about the bugs escaping in your house. just keep them in a sealed container with tiny holes for ventilation and then you can buy large feeding tweezers and grab them with those and put them in the enclosure that way.

If this still doesnt seem like something you can do, here are a few vegetarian reptiles/amphibians.
-Mali Uromastyx
-tortoises
-crested gecko [they are really neat looking, too :D I am thinking about getting one] they have a specific crested gecko diet powder thing for food... so make sure that you will be able to get that at your local pet store or online

12/29/10  05:39pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: KSunshine   In reference to Message Id: 2195045

Afraid of bugs!!!

Thank you! Actualy, I allready have a crested gecko. His name is Soda Pop. I hope to see you in the cresteds forum = )

I will consider your Idea with the worms, could you give me a few herps that could eat them? thanks = )

12/29/10  06:26pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2195059

Afraid of bugs!!!

Don’t buy freeze dried anything. It had no nutritional value. Take it from someone who was afraid of bugs, and mealworms. You kinda learn to get over it. I was afraid of bugs and spiders and hated them, when I got my first reptile (a leopard gecko) I was afraid to touch the crickets. They are gross and stinky, and jump. I would freak out when I had to collect some, so I would touch where they were. Then one day they exploded all over my room. I didn’t want them to get away, so I started catching them with my hands. To they day, I still don’t like them but I can handle them better.

With the worms I would pick them up, at all, I would use a plastic spoon and scoop them up. Then I started interning at The Lindsay Wildlife Museum as an animal keeper. We used alot of worms, and I had to take care of many different animals. There was no time to scoop them out one by one, so I started reaching in and picking them up. I got over the mealworm phobia and now pick them up.

Its still the supers that I have a problem with, maybe I’ll get over that one eventually too.

01/04/11  12:40am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2196194

Afraid of bugs!!!

hopefully I’ll get over the fear of bugs. Could somebody give me a list of easy herps that eat worms?

01/04/11  06:36pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196358

Afraid of bugs!!!

leopard geckos would be your best bet. An adult breaded dragon is also ok, as it eats mostly veggies, with a once a week crickets, so not too bad. Leopard geckos can eat mealies their entire life. I think green iguana’s eat only veggies but they can get 6ft tall. I can’t think of anything else right now. Everything else does better on crickets.

01/04/11  08:17pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2196395

Afraid of bugs!!!

sorry turtles and tortoises don’t eat bugs either. Any reptile that eats veggies is good to get :->

01/04/11  08:18pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2194188

Afraid of bugs!!!

Please, you don’t have to be so squeamish about it... crickets are really clean insects, they don’t bother me at all! I cultivate the crickets in a special plastic container, and feed them fish food or dry dog food, etc. I use them so routinely as food for my herps, I swear that I almost am beginning to think like a herp and imagine that the crickets look somewhat tasty (like shrimp or something)... on the other hand, some people cultivate, er, roaches as herp food, and if you ask me, those really do seem disgusting, because even the cultivated types look a little too similar to the household pest variety. But crickets -- hey, they really aren’t so bad, especially the small ones. And you don’t even have to touch them in many cases, you can just keep them on pieces of egg carton and just toss them in by shaking these into the herp tank, and let them hunt for them.

Come on, give it a try, you’ll see it really isn’t that bad at all.

01/05/11  06:03pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2196570

Afraid of bugs!!!

maybe I’ll ask somebody at a pet store if I can do that.. Cause if I get something that eats them and I can’t feed them... bad news. Maybe someday I’ll think crickets are tasty..

01/05/11  08:50pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196616

Afraid of bugs!!!

I’m just being a little humorous about that, but honestly, I have a bunch of frogs, toads, salamanders, etc. which eat a lot of crickets every day, so to keep them happy, I try to raise the crickets myself in a large container with food & water for them. Once in a while I need to restock. But the whole think is so routine, it doesn’t bother me in the least... and, as I said, crickets really are clean insects if you maintain them properly.

01/06/11  01:32pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196616

Afraid of bugs!!!

I’m just being a little humorous about that, but honestly, I have a bunch of frogs, toads, salamanders, etc. which eat a lot of crickets every day, so to keep them happy, I try to raise the crickets myself in a large container with food & water for them. Once in a while I need to restock. But the whole thing is so routine, it doesn’t bother me in the least... and, as I said, crickets really are clean insects if you maintain them properly.

01/06/11  01:32pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2196722

Afraid of bugs!!!

How do you maintain them properly?

01/06/11  04:14pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196752

Afraid of bugs!!!

Just like your reps, you have to clean them out. I do this about every couple of days, removing feces, bad food, and dead ones.

01/07/11  12:01am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196752

Maintaining a cricket colony

OK, well, basically the idea is to maintain a colony of them so you have some handy on a daily basis... so you can start by getting a large plastic container, the bigger the better, with a secure, tight-fitting lid.
If the plastic is transparent, that’s better, so you can see what’s going on inside, the bugs get a little light, etc. I use a large file box that I got from Office Depot for this purpose.

Once you get the box (be totally sure you choose one that has a very tight-lid), you need to drill a buch of small holes (too small for the crickets to escape from) in the lid to provide some ventilation for them.

Once the box is ready, with the holes drilled into the lid, get a bag of wood chips that they sell at Petco as reptile substrate and lay out an inch or so of it on the bottom. (This helps to absorb odors, etc. but is optional.)

Next, get a couple of small plastic trays, one for insect food and one for water. You can experiment with different foods, but I seem to find that the crickets really love flake fish food, egg mash mifor baby birds, and maybe dry dog food broken up into small pieces... Crickets easily drown so in the water tray,
just lay out some small pebbles and moisten them.

At this point, you’re ready to introduce the crickets. Start out with a couple dozen small ones from Petco (or a similar shop), and they will pack them for you in a plastic bag with a piece of egg carton...
just drop the whole thing into your cricket container and you’re ready to start the colony! (You may want to add some extra egg cartons or pieces of cardboard to provide perching and resting areas for the crickets.)

So... try it out! You might like it...

01/07/11  01:50pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2196892

I remember you mentioned that you’re thinking of keeping some crested geckos... do you have any yet? I’m mentioning this because I have read that in addition to some plant foods, they also like to eat some live insects occasionally to round out their diet and provide extra protein... so if you a have colony of crickets ready, it would be good for them.

01/07/11  01:55pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2196894

Yeah I do have a crested gecko now. His name is "Soda Pop". I thought he was a creamsical but Somebody in the cresteds forum said he wasn’t. Didn’t say what he was though...

01/07/11  04:09pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2196923

Oh I just found out about a kricket keeper. I don’t even have to TOUCH them! When i get older I can get anything!!! YAAAYY!!!

01/07/11  11:06pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area