Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Dalime   Crotus   Dalime   Dalime   Crotus  
 Member  Message

Dalime
View Profile

Red bellied newt eating question

I might get a red bellied newt instead of an atoloxl and I was wonderin weather I can feed it HBH newt & salamander bites, and tetra freeze dried bloodworms.

10/21/10  04:53pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2182552

I currently have a Chinese firebelly newt in my collection, which I keep in an aquaterrarium... it may be a juveline in its terrestrial phase, because I notice it tends to hang out in the land area almost all the time, usually hiding under a flat slate rock... it loves to eat small (1/4" size) crickets, which I dangle on a straw, these seem to be its favorite food. However, if they are in the aquatic phase, thelocate their prey by scent and will eat almost any live or thawed type of food that smells good to them... please remember, if you keep these, that they can be delicate and can easily become ill from poor water quality, so the water must be kept clean.

10/22/10  04:06pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2182752

okay... a site told me that they have a sort of poison that isnt really harmful but it can cause numbness or a burning feeling feeling.

10/22/10  08:23pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2182779

and im assuming that means they can eat the newt bite things and bloodworms?

10/22/10  08:24pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2182781

Well, in my experience they seem to do best when kept in an aqua-terrarium (half land and half water), and when my specimens are on land, they seem to prefer moving prey like very small crickets or baby earthworms. However, when newts are in the water, they will take almost any type of suitable food that they can locate by scent, so thawed foods like the bloodworms, as well as pelleted foods, may work. However, they can be picky, so you need to experiment to see what type of food your specimen prefers!

You don’t need to worry about them being poisonous; they have poisons in their skin as a defense mechanism against predators like snakes that might otherwise eat them. But they are docile creatures and do not bite, so as long as long as you wash your hands after handling them, you don’t have anything to worry about. (By the way, you should handle them as little as possible because they can stress easily and are sensitive to the oils in human skin, as well as any residues from soaps, lotions, etc. that you may have used, so therefore if you must handle them, wash your hands thoroughly with plain water before doing so, to remove those residues.)

10/24/10  02:45pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area