Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Salamander-Newts Forum

Dalime   Crotus   Dalime   Crotus   Dalime   Dalime  
 Member  Message

Dalime
View Profile

Getting axolotl crotus help

im getting an axolotl and i need to know if a 10 gallon tank is ok and can it have other fish in it. im getting it from buy-axolotl dot com and i need help fast!!

10/17/10  09:35pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2181741

Axolotls can grow pretty large (up to about a foot or more, I think) so i would recommend that you get at least a 15 or 20 gallon tank to make sure it has enough room.

I haven’t kept axolotls, but I do have experience keeping tiger salamanders which are closely related to them... like tigers, axolotls, I believe, have large appetites and therefore would probably eat any small fish; with larger fish, on the other hand, there may be some danger that that the fish might nip at the axolotl’s delicate gills or tail fin, except maybe if it’s a totally peaceful, basically vegetarian species like Plecostomus catfish, or maybe goldfish, but even with these you should keep a close watch on how it goes and separate the fish if there are any problems. Maybe your best bet might be to simply acquire a pair of axolotls so you can be sure there won’t be any compatibility problems, and you have the added bonus of observing how they interact and maybe even breeding them... the axolotls themselves might possibly be territorial, however, so you should provide some visual barriers in the form of underwater rock caves, aquatic plants, etc.

Remember, heir water should be clean and well oxygenated so you will need the same basic equipment that you would use for fish, even if you keep only axolotls.

I might be interested in keeping axolotls too eventually, so please keep me posted as to how it goes.

10/18/10  05:16pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2181860

ok! = ) though the buy- axolotls dot com says I could even keep 2 adults in my ten gal... are they friendly? cause ive heard people say that you can train them to take food out of your hands. i think ill give my pleco away cause he was sucking the skin of my other fish and eating the remains... gross. once i get one ill post pics = ) your awesome. and if your a herpetologist, could you tell me something about it? I want to be one when I grow up.

10/18/10  07:48pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2181888

Maybe a 10 gallon tank might be sufficient for them if they are young specimens, but they do grow large so I feel it would be best to go with at least a 20 gallon, just to make sure they aren’t too crowded, and they won’t be too cooped up when they reach their adult size. the larger the tank you can give them, the better!

I am not a professional herpetologist, but I am a hobbyist with a special interest in amphibians, and have been keeping them for many years and am always reading all sorts books and magazines about them -- I have a whole library about herps in fact! I think one of my deepest regrets is not having become a professional herpetologist myself -- perhaps I missed my true calling in life. So I do other things for a living, but one of my real great passions is keeping herps!

Good luck with the axolotls -- please continue to keep me posted as to how they are doing.

10/19/10  06:19pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2182069

thanks = )

10/19/10  07:00pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2182080

uhh really late update... I got a crested gecko instead..

12/23/10  10:42pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area