Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibianguy   Heathersreptiles   Amphibianguy   Reddawg   Heathersreptiles   Amphibianguy   Heathersreptiles   Crotus   Amphibianguy   Crotus   Amphibianguy   Crotus   Amphibianguy   Crotus   Amphibianguy   Crotus   Amphibianguy   Deliriah   Deliriah   Crotus   Crotus   Ornata   Crotus   Nikodude   Saphira101   Herpseeker   Hammosh   Hammosh  

Member  Message

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Post Your Odd or Rare Pets

Post your salamander or newt friends that you think are odd or rare or unusual pets to have. Like me I am planning on getting a mandarin salamander and hellbender. You can post what you already have or what you are planning on getting.

07/05/10  03:35pm

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160551

Ive been wanting a hell bender but where do you get them? i have something odd hes an ampibian but not a newt or salamander. Hes a red banded crevice creeper tree frog,or a fire walker tree frog,and he doesnt jump.

07/05/10  05:23pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2160583

I bet I could catch one. I live on the east so I see them all the time when it is moist out. Can you post a pic of the frog.

07/05/10  06:05pm

Reddawg
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160595

You see Hellbenders all the time? Or do you just see salamanders. I thought Hellbenders were rare and harder to find. It would be awesome if you could post a few pics of them next time you see them.

07/05/10  08:05pm

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160595

heres the firewalker,best one i could get at the moment

07/05/10  08:13pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2160614

That is one nice frog. That species is going on my list. And the hellbenders I see them often and I also just see salamanders. I see the hellbenders by my shed usually and I find all salamanders under logs. So Hellbenders are common in my area and I do see them often.

07/06/10  07:38am

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160702

I just happened upon him at the pet store while i was buying food for my reptiles. He was 20 bucks,hes pretty slow so is easy to handle when i gota get him out. He has dug a little hole under the drift wood in his tank and stays there or in his house.they like to hide mainly. Im in missouri,not sure if we have hellbenders here or where i could find one if we do

07/06/10  12:24pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2160751

Here are some of mine: A Cope’s gray treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis), Western green toad (Bufo debilis),
marbled salamander (Ambystoma opacum), tiger salamander (A. tigrinum) and adult & baby fire salamanders (Salamandra salamandra):

07/06/10  12:59pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2160766

you wouldn’t be able to find a hellbender in Missouri. Maybe on vacaztion in the east? Those are some nice salamanders crotus. Also a nice tree frog.

07/06/10  04:37pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160802

Thanks -- I try to take good care of them. I am curious whether you really are actually seeing hellbenders in your area? A hellbender is a very large, flattened, rather plain-looking brown type of salamander with loose, baggy skin, that grows to a length of nearly 3 feet and lives only in cool mountain streams and lakes, underwater, feeding mainly on crayfish. To keep one in captivity would not be easy because of its large size and special requirements. Are you sure these are really what you are seeing in your area?

07/07/10  01:37pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2160614

I see them at my local pond and I see babies at my house.

07/07/10  03:06pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2160959

Can you post some pictures of them??? I always thought that they were rare, are you really sure you’re seeing hellbenders? (I’m not sure about this, but I think the name hellbender originated because they’re such weird-looking animals, when some country people (who weren’t herpetologists) went fishing and happened to accidentally hook one and bring it ashore, they thought that they might have spent too many days on the corn jug! :-)

07/08/10  07:19pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2161215

I just found one behind my house.

07/08/10  07:24pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2161217

The picture doesn’t show up for some reason -- can you re-post it please? I am very curious to see if you really have hellbenders in your area...

07/09/10  02:33pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2161386

my little brother deleted it on my computer and I already deleted it on my camera.

07/09/10  02:57pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2161399

Can you take another picture? I am having some trouble believing that you are really seeing hellbenders, which are rare and hard to find even in areas where they do occur, so I am wondering what creatures you are really seeing.

07/11/10  06:27pm

Amphibianguy
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2161874

I was at a baseball game last night and during practice they trew a ball up and I tried to catch and dropped my camera.

07/11/10  08:08pm

Deliriah
View Profile

Helbenders are prety rare, and I don’t believe they do well in captivity. But if you are seeing them near where you live you are lucky. I have 2 yellow spotted salamanders, 5 eastern red spotted newts, and a common northern green frog.

07/18/10  01:19am

Deliriah
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2160766

Crotus, that is the fattest tiger sal I think I’ve ever seen! Looks happy though. Beautiful pics of beautiful amphibians!!!!

07/18/10  01:28am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Deliriah   In reference to Message Id: 2163239

Thanks -- I try to take good care of them, sometimes it’s a learning experience getting it right... That tiger salamander has a unbelievable monster appetite and I need to be careful not to overfeed it! I actually raised the fire salamander (his name is Nemo; the big one is Namor) from a larva which was born from a gravid female adult that I got in a shipment some time ago... the baby now is a little more than 1 year old and has a great appetite and is growing. I’m so proud! I find that in some cases, captive born animals seem to be hardier than ones collected from the wild, perhaps because they don’t get stressed by having to make a change in living conditions...

Can you show me a few pictures of your pets??? :-)

07/18/10  05:53pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2163336

Never mind

07/25/10  05:28pm

Ornata
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2164926

i had a barred tiger salamander named Lucky R.I.P he had a marking on the bottom of his chin dat looked like a stilleto high heel

07/25/10  06:00pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Ornata   In reference to Message Id: 2164933

Sounds a little like mine... tigers really are hardy salamanders but as with all amphibians you need to be careful of certain factors relating to substrate, temperature, food and lighting for them to do well. So, if you decide to get another one, please let me know and I will give you some tips on their care.

07/26/10  06:54pm

Nikodude
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2160940

hey crotus can i give you $$$ for a tiger salamander? i just think they are cute

06/16/12  11:03pm

Saphira101
View Profile

Are Long-Toed (Ambystoma Macrodactylum) salamanders rare or unusual? I have one named Pint-Sized, or P.S. for short. A family friend caught him in their yard and gave him to me. (don’t worry, I checked with the local laws to make sure it’s OK to keep him)
Here he is:

03/23/13  11:19pm

Herpseeker
View Profile

Message To: Saphira101   In reference to Message Id: 2294206

i have an eastern tiger salamander named speckles who i just found out was male after having him for about a year but i want a golden albino axolotl.

03/29/13  06:07pm

Hammosh
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2294605

I almost bought myself a hellbender And eastern newt. I have no idea of how rare or unusual eastern newts are. Ok I am very very curious my cousin has a Japanese Giant Salamander are they legal or is illegal to have one? My cousin tried giving the monstrously huge thing to me yesterday so I’m wondering about that. I’m kinda intimadated by it it’s at least almost two feet. I think it’s about 17 inches long. I don’t want to get into trouble about having a giant salamander without knowing if legal or not. If they are illegal my cousin is in the deep deep. Correct me if I called the giant salamander the wrong the name it’s either japanese or chinese I don’t know which. Please anybody tell me if they are ok or not ok to keep. Honestly I have not in the slightest idea of how or where the heck he got one of those things. Scary animal. Sadly my camera currently does not work or I would have posted a picture with it.

02/17/16  07:09am

Hammosh
View Profile

Message To: Amphibianguy   In reference to Message Id: 2161898

What? What does baseball have anything to do with rare or unusual amphians? Eh forget it

02/17/16  09:32pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area