Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kitty4u8   Kyoss   Kitty4u8   Crotus   Kitty4u8   Crotus   Kitty4u8   Dalime   Buliki  

Member  Message

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Salamander question

Do salamanders have to live in part water or can they live in soil? I ask cuz I found a baby salamander in my back yard under a log in moist soil. Now I don’t beleave that they a locally wild where I live so I found it unusual to find one. Any advice on what I should do with it?

06/24/10  03:04am

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2158045

Salamander question

Let it go back in the wild where it belongs. The only time i take something from the wild is when its hurt, over population of tadpoles in one area, tadpoles in general and raise them from tadpoles to salamanders/frogs which is a lot better because there not used to the wild and can deal with living in a care all it’s life unlike a lot of wild caught pets. So I’d let it go, And go find yourself some tadpoles, or find a petshop/website that sells salamanders cheap if you want one.

06/24/10  08:43am

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2158085

Salamander question

Opps sorry I didnt clarify I never caught it i left it outside under the log! But my next question is will it live because there is nothing for it to eat. I live in a pretty dry area and dont they need mositure? So I just wanna check if it will live.

06/24/10  03:23pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2158170

Salamander question

Obviously you have a population of these salamanders or newts near where you live... this one probably came from a nearby pond or stream, and migrated into your yard after a rain. If it’s a baby, it can eat any kind of tiny insects or worms that it can find under logs or rocks -- I’m sure it will have no problem finding what it needs. I’m curious what species it is -- can you post a picture of it ?????

06/24/10  07:01pm

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2158205

Salamander question

This is it sorry for the bad resolution taken from phone.

06/24/10  08:46pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2158228

Salamander question

Looks like a slender salamander -- if you live in California, I understand those are extremely common and can be found almost anywhere. They are basically completely terrestrial, hatching out into miniature adults from eggs laid on land (they skip the larval stage). Food consists of extremely tiny invertebrates like springtails, other tiny insects, tiny worms, etc. they themselves can sometimes become prey to larger salamanders or other predators, but they are good escape artists. I’m sure the ones you find outside will be OK.

06/25/10  04:08pm

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2158405

Salamander question

Ok thank you for the help! I will let him be and live his life!

06/25/10  08:21pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2158487

Salamander question

salamanders live in moist soil i think..

10/17/10  09:13pm

Buliki
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2158045

Salamander question

I would keep it they make great pets if you could a Ford a tank and set up when full grown they are fully acquabetic but gat a turtle dock so it can get out of water blood worms are a good think to feed it many a earth worm for a treat to Chang his diet get a filter oh feed it a little a day uuu provide hiding spot that’s a big part of its habitat if no hiding spot it will get stressed and die sooner gravel nothing small enough to ingest for the floor clean declorinized water 60 to 70 degrees um think that’s it need more help just ask :)

01/06/12  07:15am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area