Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fadeyt   Crotus   Fadeyt   Crotus   Fadeyt   Rattler989   Crotus   Mambooscar   Newtbaby10   Crotus   Shipley23   Crotus  

Member  Message

Fadeyt
View Profile

Please help salamander larve

hi i found some salamander eggs yesterday in an area that is goimg to be moved so im trying to raise them thet all hatched yesterday i dont know exactly what kind they are and theres prob no way of knowing till they grow up rigt? ok my main concern is what else i should do change water daily feed twice aday and is it ok if they dont move much they all kinda just sit around and occasionaly swim
heres some pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31130145@N05/4559384896/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31130145@N05/4558757119/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31130145@N05/4559385526/in/photostream/

04/28/10  10:23pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Fadeyt   In reference to Message Id: 2144137

Wow, they look pretty cool... This reminds me of an experience I had a year ago when I ordered some European fire salamanders from a herp dealer, and the female one, which apparently had recently given birth, popped out another one after she arrived. That species is unusual because it gives birth to live larvae rather than laying eggs.

When I found the newborn larva, I transferred it into a Tupperware container with a lid that I punched some ventilation holes into, and filled this with several inches of water. I put some gravel on the bottom for the larva to crawl on if it wanted to, and added a few sprigs of Anacharis to the water for oxygenation.

Over the next 2 months I tried various tiny live foods, but its favorite seemed to be tiny baby earthworms (these had to be only about 1/2 inch long or so). Probably daphnia or brine shrimp would have worked also. Eventually, when he grew a little in size, he started to take 1 week old (1/4") crickets; he finally transformed to the land stage after about 2 months, at which time I created a mound of gravel for him to climb out on so he wouldn’t drown when his gills were totally absorbed.

It is now 1 year since he was born, and after transforming he has grown a lot, being about 5 inches long now (eventual size is about 8 inches or so). I’m keeping him in a 5 gallon woodland terrarium. I don’t have pictures of him at the moment, but will try to post them soon.

I would say, try any of the live foods I have mentioned, making sure you’re using small enough prey for the size of the larvae. Make sure to change the water occasionally to keep it clean; take care at transformation time that they have easy access to land.

Good luck; please keep me posted as to how they’re doing!

04/29/10  12:44pm

Fadeyt
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2144219

yeah they just sit at the bottom dont move to much i counted today when i cahnged the water there are 50 som im hoping most live i have blood worms right now freze dried i cant really get much of anything else at the moment i just hope im doing this right

04/29/10  02:32pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Fadeyt   In reference to Message Id: 2144238

Salamander larve

I don’t think freeze dried foods are very nutritious for them; it might be better to experiment with flake fish foods like Tetra-Min, but take care not to foul the water too much. The best option, however, is some of live food, like tubifex worms, daphnia, brine shrimp, chopped pieces of very small earthworms from your backyard, etc. If you give them this type of diet, they will grow quickly!

To show you what I mean, here are some pictures of my baby fire salamander showing all stages of its development from when it was first born until after transformation. This is the first time I ever actually attempted to do something like this, and I am just feeling so proud to have raised this healthy baby salamander! Although yours are a different species, it should give you some ideas about the setup, and what to expect:

04/30/10  11:42am

Fadeyt
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2144437

Salamander larve

it doesnt show any but yeah i will deffinitly try other things for food any other advice

04/30/10  03:47pm

Rattler989
View Profile

Message To: Fadeyt   In reference to Message Id: 2144486

Salamander larve

i always thought they looked exactly llike tadpoles

05/02/10  08:59pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Fadeyt   In reference to Message Id: 2144486

Salamander larve

The pictures seem to be working again -- please take another look at my salamander larva pics from my previous post. It’ll give you an idea of what to expect if you feed your larvae well and take good care of them!

05/05/10  04:14pm

Mambooscar
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2145566

Salamander larve

i am sure its a spotted salamander

05/07/10  03:51pm

Newtbaby10
View Profile

Message To: Mambooscar   In reference to Message Id: 2145949

Salamander larvae

spotted salamanders have more clear and distinct spots on their back, this IS a fire salamander.

05/07/10  04:06pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Newtbaby10   In reference to Message Id: 2145954

Baby fire salamander

Yes, you can also tell by the large parotoid glands at the back of the head (which are almost always yellow to draw attention to them).

05/09/10  02:09pm

Shipley23
View Profile

Message To: Fadeyt   In reference to Message Id: 2144137

Hey I just made this account im not sure how to use it but I need help my salamander has bumps all over him what do I do???

02/03/13  12:50am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Shipley23   In reference to Message Id: 2291174

I can’t be too sure exactly what the problem is unless you can post a picture, but meanwhile I suggest that you move him into a separate new tank with a fresh clean substrate. What species is it, does it still eat well? Please tell me some additional details.

02/05/13  03:51pm

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area