Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Salamander-Newts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alex961   Keechoo   Dinox64   AllHailRain   Emilliana   Emilliana   StickMan95   Sw1c   Frogman120197   Crotus   Alex961   Newtbaby10   Dalime   Hammosh  

Member  Message

Alex961
View Profile

Petsmart

I live in Lexington South Carolina so walk went in Petsmart and ask if they can get any newt or salamanders in they said they could not get any in. Does anyone now why?

06/06/08  11:58pm

Keechoo
View Profile

Message To: Alex961   In reference to Message Id: 1754009

Petsmart

I don’t know why but it’s the same with Petco and Petsmart here in RI.

06/07/08  01:18pm

Dinox64
View Profile

Message To: Keechoo   In reference to Message Id: 1754277

Pet smart

May have something to do with possible releasing into the wild and then creating an impact on local and natural species in the area. Just like snakes are not allowed in Hawaii and Bali or Fiji. They have none, and if some one did and it got away or they let it go because they no longer wanted it. It would start to eat all the natural species and alter the Eco system there. The same goes for aquatic plants and fruits and vegetables.

06/07/08  02:02pm

AllHailRain
View Profile

Message To: Dinox64   In reference to Message Id: 1754301

Pet smart

and Ireland. :)

dunno, but i wouldn’t buy an animal from petsmart anyway.
have you tried looking on kingsnake?

06/07/08  05:01pm

Emilliana
View Profile

Petsmart

I work at petsmart and I really have no idea why. They (the main headquarters of petsmart) have this special list of what we are allowed to order and how many we can order.

To the previous person that said they wouldn’t buy a pet from petsmart anyway: I was the same way. I had this thing where I believed that pet stores were horrible and they didn’t take care of their pets very well. That may be true with certain stores but when I started working at petsmart in the pet care department I was surprised at how well they do treat them and care for them. We had this one rat that was going blind and they paid hundreds and hundreds of money to get that rat treament. We do care a lot about making money, of course, but we equally care about the health of our animals. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t make the money we do make.

09/08/08  05:18pm

Emilliana
View Profile

Petsmart

Almost forgot: Do you have a pet supermarket near you? They have some! That is where I will buy mine!

09/08/08  05:19pm

StickMan95
View Profile

Message To: Emilliana   In reference to Message Id: 1854660

Petsmart

The PetSmarts in Virginia are a scary place for pet lovers. I saw some African Dwarf Frogs so weak that they couldn’t even swim to the surface to breath. The attendant frankly said, "Yeah. It’s probably dying". I wish the Virginia Beach counterparts of PetSmart cared about their animals more. I go to places such as Pet Paridise and Animal Jungle mostly because they seem much more knoledgable.

09/13/08  08:49pm

Sw1c
View Profile

Message To: StickMan95   In reference to Message Id: 1858925

Petsmart

there are also restrictions on some animals byy law depending where you are. i havent seen any petsmarts carry salamanders.. dont recall any may also have somethign to do with many slamanders are still taken form wild not captive bred yet. and in attempt to leave wild ones alone wont bring them in. fbn are only newts i recall seeing petsmart carry as well. may have somethign to do with why

09/17/08  03:01am

Frogman120197
View Profile

Message To: Emilliana   In reference to Message Id: 1854660

Petsmart

what state do you live in because i have one in FL and i havent seen one

12/05/08  09:26pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Emilliana   In reference to Message Id: 1854656

Petsmart

My feeling is that at some Petsmart locations at least, the staff taking care of the animals doesn’t realize that newts are very delicate creatures, much more so that firebelly toads, that need very clean conditions and can’t tolerate anything less than that.

At one of their Miami locations, I noticed that they were keeping them in overcrowded conditions together with firebelly toads, and leaving dead crickets in the water, which ended up polluting the water; some of the newts were dying, probably from fungal infections. I bought one or two from them around that time, and those later died; only one that I bought was hardy enough to survive (I still have that one, but had to order a companion for it from another source).

I later noticed that they stopped stocking the newts and asked about them, but was told that they no longer stock them (probably because they had been dying off). I think that, although FBNs require similar conditions to FBTs, they should be housed separately because they are more delicate and dainty in their feeding habits and require smaller food items because they have a smaller gape than the toads. Also the water must be kept very clean.

Could you please pass this on to the people at Petsmart?

02/22/09  05:27pm

Alex961
View Profile

Petsmart

I live in South Carolina and also I have seen them at other pet stores in SC.

03/16/09  04:55pm

Newtbaby10
View Profile

Message To: Alex961   In reference to Message Id: 1969567

Petsmart

My petsmart doesn’t carry newts or salamanders, and a lot of the gecko’s are missing digits, or chunks of their body, one even dropped it entire tail! and they still tried to sell it for full price! I understad with so many animals its hard, but come on!

04/25/10  03:58pm

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Newtbaby10   In reference to Message Id: 2143296

Petsmart

I can’t think of many other ways for animal cruelty.. the last animal I got from petsmart was a cat who later went crazy and started biting my whole family

10/17/10  09:09pm

Hammosh
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2181730

Petsmart

Hey guys. I thought petsmart was a bad pet store until I saw whities. I went to whities pets to buy a newt and to my horror almost every animal there had something wrong with them from scale mites on snakes to cloudy eyes and missing limbs from diseawe my newt died within four days after I perchased at that horrible place.

02/18/16  08:10am

Back to Salamander-Newts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area