Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rae rae   Kaylawayla09   Rae rae  

Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Your opinion please

I currently have quite a few mice, not all housed together. Some are bred for pets to the local pet store, and others are bred for food-for my personal use and some others that have reptiles. Well I have 2 females and 1 male in the same tank together. The 2 females are mother and daughter and have always lived together with no problems. They have always helped care for each others’ litters. The male has always been a really good dad too, he always helps care for his litters and has never shown aggression towards the babies that I’ve seen.

So both females in this tank were pregnant at the same time as normal. They have always had their babies on the same day or just a day apart. Well the daughter had hers 3 days ago. But the older one was still pregnant until today. I went to check on them today and noticed she was smaller and knew she had them. So upon searching...found lots of body parts of her babies scattered everywhere.

So this particular mother only had one problem about a year ago with her very first litter. She killed the very first baby out of her very first litter (probably because I was messing with her and caused stress). She has had no other problems since then, and tends to actually adopt others’ babies with no problems. I did clean their tanks yesterday as well and added a new house to it. So I don’t know if it was because of me cleaning it yesterday, adding something new to the tank, if it was in fact the male, or if she just went a little psycho.

I would like to prevent this in the future as I was really looking forward to those babies (as were my reptiles!) for food purposes. Any advice on what I did wrong would be appreciated thanks.

02/12/12  10:46pm

Kaylawayla09
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2255022

Your opinion please

um, it might have been the cleaning because i have pet RATS and when ever i clean their cage they just go crazy and just yesterday after i cleaned their cage i found blood on their top floor, but the only thing cut was her ear from the other rat biting her. it might be the cleaning, maybe you should clean there cage maybe a week or so before they give birth, not like days before.

02/16/12  05:40pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kaylawayla09   In reference to Message Id: 2255594

Your opinion please

Good idea...I can’t figure out what else it might have been. Thanks for replying.

02/20/12  11:05pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area