Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Xxxravenxxx   Greatballzofire   Xxxravenxxx  
 Member  Message

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

So i was wondering what happened...

ok so i breed mice for feeders and the last couple of litters i had all died. about 20 babies that have all died. i dont know what it was. there was at least 3 or 4 nursing females and all but 1 have died. (she died of old age) i have very few females left and one seems to be getting old. the others dont seem to be big enough or old enough to produce babies. i am worried that i wont be able to get any more babies for a while. should i just retire the current females and get a few new ones? i plan on getting at least 2 new females to put in with my male Squeakers. i have a large tank(not sure of the gallon size) that all my females are in. i have 2 males in a 10 gallon since they are not being used as breeders at the moment. the females that are left are from an earlier litter. about 4-6 females i believe and a few males but im not sure. i would like to know what was the possible cause for all the latest litters deaths. just so i can prevent it the next time

04/02/11  11:16pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2212710

I would suggest retiring all your mice, males and females, and thoroughly cleaning all your tanks and other equipment in the event you have a virus that has caused the young to die. Generally the young will die if the mothers cannot lactate enough, due to old age or virus.

Start over with fresh stock in sanitized quarters. You should have pinks again in a month or so. Be sure to feed your mice a good rodent feed, such as Mazuri breeder, and always have fresh water in clean bottles. Also with mice cleanliness is paramount, even though that does entail a lot of tank and tub washing.

04/06/11  10:25am

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2213192

i have 3 healthy young females and i believe one is pregnant. my tanks are always clean. the few females that i had were my main breeders. a couple were older than most. the babies started getting thin after about 3 weeks. after about a week, a couple of my mom mice passed away and one had to be put down do to what it appeared to be paralysis of one side but other than that seemed healthy. a few babies died before the moms did. the remaining seemed healthy till they passed a couple days later. i dont think it was a virus. i might spray all items accept food with a sea salt solution to help the sanitary. sea salt solution acts as a saline solution only i believe its much safer if its accentually ingested.

04/06/11  02:36pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area