Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Rae rae   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Rae rae  
 Member  Message

Rae rae
View Profile

Mouse smell

ok, so i have a male mouse i rescued from petsmart. he was free because he was attacked by other mice...go figure they keep a bunch of males together. i used to work there so i know! anyway, it’s been a while since i worked there and i completely forgot about the smell. i’ve had a female mouse and she never stinks. her cage is cleaned out once a week and all is right with the world.

then came the boy! he REALLY REALLY STINKS! i have to clean his cage more than once a week. i end up scrubbing everything down with soap and water(cage, bowls, wheel). i don’t trust any cleaners in case he’s what my husband calls a window licker lol! anyway, i know people say i should "spot clean" everyday...but what is spot cleaning? i mean he poops little poops all over the cage and the urine is absolutely everywhere. so...i don’t understand spot cleaning. i would if it was just in one area but it’s not. i can clean everything and by the next day it stinks.

i have 4 dogs, a cat, 4 leopard geckos, 2 mice, and fish...and i pride myself that my house NEVER smells like animals. the dogs are bathed and their toys, beds, and crates are cleaned every 2 weeks. the litter box is cleaned EVERYDAY, the lizards are cleaned weekly, and the fish tanks are cleaned regularly. i don’t do bad smells in my house. this one tiny mouse is driving me insane! i like him and he makes me laugh. everytime i walk in there and he gets scared he jumps on his wheel like he’s running away and going somewhere and that cracks me up! lol!

i am now 9 months pregnant and my hormones are kicking in with wanting everything spotless and smelling good and i dont’ know what to do. and btw, i use aspen bedding. any tricks of the trade of owning male mice and not having the stink? i would appreciate some advice, thanks.

02/11/11  12:06am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204255

Mouse smell

Put a few drops of vanilla in his water...it will help with the odor.

Cp

02/11/11  01:52am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204255

Mouse smell

Link
What my feed store uses in the pet adoption room inside the store for the mice, hamsters, rats, and what my friend who owns a pet store uses in her big mouse cages. You would never know they have mice in there. Really works!

02/15/11  01:47pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2205117

Mouse smell

that’s interesting. never would’ve thought of litter. thanks

02/16/11  11:00pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area