Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Rattywaffles   Cphill58   Rattywaffles  
 Member  Message

Rattywaffles
View Profile

Is she pregnant??

Okay so my albino rat, lufa, has been acting weird lately... She has been nesting abit and she has been shy!! Her belly is getting noticibly larger but not in a tumor type of way.. I seperated her from her cagemate and put her with a shoe box, chew toys, and different types of materials for her to nest with. Awhile ago i got her from a petshop... And yes yes, i no, i shouldnt have gotten a petstore rat but i felt for her so i did. How was i supposed to no hat she was being kept with male rats?!?! Anywho... Im trying to get her ready for birth if she is. Which she realllllly does look prego so any advice? I no i can just look up info on the web but i want actual opinions from experienced rat owners, thanks for any help:)

01/28/11  12:32am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rattywaffles   In reference to Message Id: 2201485

Is she pregnant??

When she is 25-27 days preggo she will develope teats and they will be very prominent. Also she may object to being picked up quite strongly. Give her more protien starting now to help her be strong and fit and develope milk. Cooked chicken ...dog /cat food wet. Beef and bone from leftovers...even hamburger or scrambled eggs.
If you notice that she is burying the food items to keep her nest area clean all you can do is wait it out. My rats will sometimes not eat the treats when all they are thinking about is babies. They will push it away and cover it to keep the nesting area clean.

Extra peanuts and sunflower seeds too...unsalted.

02/01/11  11:45am

Rattywaffles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2202406

Is she pregnant??

Thanks!! She had her babies last thursday, there are 14 and they are doing great. I give her lab blocks, abit of seed mix, and dog food

02/06/11  04:09pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area