Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Xxxravenxxx   Cphill58   Xxxravenxxx   Tefoe   Xxxravenxxx   Cphill58   Xxxravenxxx  
 Member  Message

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

So i randomly came across this forum

so i found this forum and thought i could get some pointers on breeding rodents. i am currently breeding mice but will eventually do both mice and rats due to my cousins snake, mine and my bfs red tail boa once he gets it.

i have a group of mice that i have been trying to breed for some time now and i think only 2 or 3 are pregnant. i think one of them is too old to breed now since she looks kinda worn around the edges. managed to get on litter out f her. had 3 litters total since maybe 3 months ago or better. any advice on what i should do? i have all mice in my room and right now its not the warmest in the world due to a crack in my window. it lets cold cold air in all the time and hot during the summer.

i have been breeding mice not only to have food for my snakes but also to provide food for my cousins snake and to have some pet mice to give to a couple of my friends who wanted one.

01/10/11  12:20pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2197452

I raise rats for my snakes and I sell to others...average colony is about 200-300 according to my GF...lol. I had to build a shed and insulate and heat it for the winter...everyone is doing well. Come this summer they will get A/C...I should move out there...lol

I started my mice about last summer but they are far more difficult I had 3 females per male and fighting broke out...and i had cannibalisim when pinks were born. I have a small rack system now and finally have a seperate area for the males after the females are sure to be pregnant. It’s slowly coming ...but rats are far easier IMO.

Chris

01/12/11  09:27am

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2197775

right now i have to breed mice for mice cousins cali king baby. its far to small for rat pinkies yet.

01/12/11  10:36am

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2197783

Well you want to keep the temperature as stable as possible..
This is probably your biggest problem.. Unlike rats, mice stress very easily, then don’t breed well..
Its also best to separate all your females when they’re pregnant, giving birth, again with minimizing stress as much as possible...
They don’t like quick changes in light either, bright light is a big no for mice, they like it nice and dark to barely lit..... Hope this helps you!:)

01/12/11  02:21pm

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 2197818

thanks. the temp in my room just wont stay liek it should. in the winter due to the crack in my window, gets really cold and in the summer since the sun shines right in my window get really warm and i cant help with the lights.

this morning i checked in on of of my possible pregnant mice and she wasnt there. damn thing got out. my mom is going to be pissed.

i really need to do something about one of my cages. its actually a fish tank and i just sealed the holes up with some screen material and the mouse chewed through it. gah, thats the second mouse that got out. i really;y need to keep some live traps on hand.

01/12/11  03:13pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Xxxravenxxx   In reference to Message Id: 2197839

Yep ... I paid 25.00 for a live trap that is good for rats ...chipmumks ...squirrels ..best money I ever spent. Caught the escapees in record time and back into population they went.

Temps can drop into the 50-60’s easily for the mice no problem there.

01/13/11  09:13am

Xxxravenxxx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2198004

this weekend ill be picking up a couple good live traps to trap the mice that get out. its always god to have live traps on hand. have a mouse or rat get loose, live trap it.

01/13/11  12:06pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area