Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Zechriel   KaleidoRats   Zechriel   Greatballzofire   KaleidoRats   Rebecca Wright  
 Member  Message

Zechriel
View Profile

Is my mouse TALKING to herself??

Good evening! We have been breeding mice for a while but always come across a problem. Sooner or later one starts "talking" to itself. We have always assumed that they were sick and put them down (in the freezer). Sure enough our Momma started doing it this week. I want to confirm that this is something fatal like RI and not something natural. Any ideas please? One note though-we never feed our breeders-male or female- to Black Thunder our snake. He gets the F/T and the breeders go in our gardens. Thank you!

09/13/10  05:14pm

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Zechriel   In reference to Message Id: 2175342

What exactly do you mean by talking?

09/14/10  11:15pm

Zechriel
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2175524

Good morning, I mean like clicking and popping noises from her. and if you hold her in your hand, she keeps doing it. Like when you put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and "tut tut" or click?? Like that, hope that helps, thank you.

09/15/10  08:36am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Zechriel   In reference to Message Id: 2175564

This sounds like a respiratory infection. When I get wheezy chattering or clicking noises from a mouse I cull it out and thoroughly sanitize the tub it was in, and feed out the tub mates as they will also be infected most likely. I keep a bottle of alcohol on hand so when I go from tub to tub I can sanitize my hands between tubs, so as as to not spread this very common mouse virus. I have managed to cull out this virus from my stock and now never add new outside stock to my colony unless quarantined for a couple of months.
Link
The information in the above link concerns rats but also applies to mice.

09/15/10  08:54am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Zechriel   In reference to Message Id: 2175564

I agree with Great. It sounds like a respiratory issue.

09/15/10  04:38pm

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2175631

if it is constant like that I would agree that it is likely a RI, I know my mice make occasional clicky noises at each other but they stop when I pick them up or when I disturb the tub.... sorry to hear your momma mouse is making RI noises :(

09/16/10  08:46pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area