Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Rebecca Wright   Greatballzofire   KaleidoRats   Tinetine   Rebecca Wright  
 Member  Message

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Do you track of litters?

We just had a litter of 9 baby mice born (our second litter this time!) and it got me thinking, do any of you keep track of who had what litter? if so what kind of information do you write down and what do you use to keep track (computer program, paper chart etc)

06/11/10  09:04pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 2155055

Do you track of litters?

I keep my mice in sterilite tubs of assorted sizes, with screen tops. I write pertinent data on the front of the tubs with a marking pen, such as when tubs were washed, pinks were born, how many mice in tub, males and females, their parentage, etc. Also my mice are color coded to a great extent, so I have lines of brindles, silvers, TANS, and this helps with avoiding inbreeding. When data is obsolete I wipe it off with alcohol. All the tubs are numbered as well.

With my snakes I have a little clipboard with all their names and when they ate last, and their weights and whether they are in blue, etc. I tried using an online snake tracking site for this but the effort to enter the data was such a job of work I just rely on my trusty clipboard. I also write data on the snakes’ tubs and tanks, like when tub or tank was last washed. I also have a little file card box with the snakes’ histories, like when hatched, where obtained, other details.

06/13/10  08:34am

KaleidoRats
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 2155055

Do you track of litters?

With my rats and mice I just write down the parents’ names and what they are color wise and make up a simple pedigree that way. The natal rats will be handled the same way as the fancy rats and mice. The spiny mice are a bit trickier and I haven’t figured out an easy system yet. I do the pedigrees even with the feeders because I still raise them as my own pets until they are bought. I just keep it all written in a notebook for now.

08/21/10  12:06am

Tinetine
View Profile

Message To: KaleidoRats   In reference to Message Id: 2170671

Do you track of litters?

you can print out what should be "necessary" sheets for breeders from this website:

http://www.afrma.org/pdfforms/recordsheet.pdf
and also
http://www.afrma.org/pdfforms/litterrecord.pdf

these are very helpful

10/18/10  12:33pm

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: Tinetine   In reference to Message Id: 2181816

Do you track of litters?

thanks I ended up downloading a program called "kintracks" which is ok... lol otherwise I was just keeping a simple ledger for quick reference (so I don’t need to boot up the computer lol)

10/19/10  08:26pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area