Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Corbinscoots   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Corbinscoots   Greatballzofire   Corbinscoots   Greatballzofire   Corbinscoots   Gerbil5  
 Member  Message

Corbinscoots
View Profile

Mice breeding question ???

how many mice can i put in a 66 quart tub
and can i put multiple males in the 66 with females

06/01/10  07:19pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Corbinscoots   In reference to Message Id: 2152231

I get a lot of advise from GREAT BALLZ OF FIRE... he knows his stuff !! He recommended that I never put 2 males in with my females ...I had 6 does and 2 bucks...I was advised to seperate the crew in half.

I will copy and paste the convo here ....it was in my private messages

Quote:

So to repeat:
Do not EVER put two males in the same cage with females. The males will fight and stress out the females, and the stress will lead to cannibalism and death of females. Separate your males into each his own tank and give him his own females.

Ten gallon tanks are really not that great; I like 58 quart sterilite tubs with wire screen tops. Clean the cage at least once a week.

Rodent block is the best thing to feed mice. It is a complete diet. It is less stinky than feeding them wet cat food and other sorts of things, which tend to get mixed around in the litter and add to the smell faster.

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Rodents-KeepingandBreeding/messages/2032002.html

Stick around ...it may seem a bit dead but I check here every couple of days.

Cp

06/02/10  03:14am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2152319

I put 2 to four sisters all raised together in with one male in a 58 quart tub. If one of the females is late on getting pregnant, I remove her to a separate maternity tub so her babies don’t have to compete in the communal nest with earlier born babies.

06/02/10  10:52am

Corbinscoots
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2152383

ok thanks guys right now i have 4 females in a 66 quart and i put the male in a hamster cage thing for little kids i had it around so i can keep the male in with the females

06/02/10  03:35pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Corbinscoots   In reference to Message Id: 2152464

You can keep the male in with the females and he will help raise the young, give the females a sense of security, and keep them pregnant. In fact, unless you want the females to be bred right after they give birth, you will have to take him out once they are pregnant. For simple continuous production I leave him with the females, but I also breed for colors, good mothering instincts, and size, so with those groups I take the male out so the females don’t get worn out so fast. Also preventing back to back pregnancies helps with multiple females as you avoid having females giving birth while other females have two week old or older young which tends to shortchange the newborn pinks with competition for nursing. I have several small maternity tubs for mamas that are due to give birth late, and must be given a place to birth in private, without a lot of big youngsters horning in on the milk.

06/02/10  05:03pm

Corbinscoots
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2152488

i have some pics

thats the male
all the rest are my females

i couldent find the picture for the brown one with black spots
here is all the females

06/02/10  11:46pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Corbinscoots   In reference to Message Id: 2152573

You’ve got some pretty ones, especially the reddish satiny female in the last photo to the left, and in the third photo down.

Some of mine:

And my long hairs (arrows point to the longhairs):

I had the long hairs show up in a litter recently. Four brothers, a brown one, two black and white and a gold brindle. They have since sired young and now I have more longhairs of both genders.

06/03/10  09:22am

Corbinscoots
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2152620

nice !!
i might consider breeding them as pets but that would be another project....
on a separate note.... i have some all white long haired hamsters that we bred
i want all black ones though ... :))))))

06/03/10  02:47pm

Gerbil5
View Profile

Message To: Corbinscoots   In reference to Message Id: 2152573

Male: LET GO OF MY TAIL OR I’LL BITE UR HAND OFF
lol

03/10/11  01:58pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area