Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire   Cphill58   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

105 Quart Sterilite Tub for Mice

105 quart Sterilite tub.

Interior of 105 tub. I loop the wire of the feeder over the edge of the tub. I tie the water bottle onto the lip of the tub with a piece of wire going through a little hole. They always get a cuttle fish bone to gnaw on and provide extra calcium.

The young mice with the cardboard flat removed to show them. For big litters I want to have grow up I like to put them in these big tubs. They have plenty of room to run around in. I always give my mice cardboard hides; this gives them a sense of security and helps them stay warm. They do tend to remodel their "houses" but that is okay, the cardboard flats are free.
Once a week I wash the cage and change the bedding, and give them a new hide. Judging by the last picture it is mouse tub cleaning day today! LOL!

05/30/10  10:52am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2151516

I have noticed that my mice are becoming ill...the fur looks bad ... the eyes slightly swollen and they cough or have respiratory distress. I think this is # 3 that is succumbing to this dilemma.

I have no idea why this is continuing after reducing the colony as you directed...cleaning the tank weekly and just leaving them be.??

Chris

05/30/10  11:29pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2151675

There are two things that come to mind with the symptoms you describe. One is the mice have a virus, and the other is the litter may be bothering them. I use America’s Choice pine bedding, which is kiln dried and low in resinous fumes and dust. This product is used with horses, which are also sensitive to dusts, so if it is safe for horses it should be safe for mice. I have been using this for a couple of years now successfully. High levels of ammonia from urine acerbate any symptoms the mice may have, so cleanliness is essential. You may have to change the bedding more frequently especially in a glass tank . Ventilation is paramount, as well.

Link

If this is a virus the best thing to do is feed out the mice you have and thoroughly sterilize all the mouse equipment so you can start over with fresh stock, hopefully from not the same place you got the first stock.

Are the mice making a sort of chattering sound? That is a sign of respiratory disease. When you listen to them they should be quiet, not making any chattering or snuffling sounds.

When I do the mouse chores I use a hand sanitizer between touching each tub, so I don’t transfer any germs from tub to tub. If I see any signs of illness I cull those out right away, and I have stopped bringing in new stock. So the run of respiratory problems I had for awhile have ceased, finally.

05/31/10  08:26pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2151973

That seems to be the case here... I belive it is a virus ...the bedding I am using is DRY NEST ...a kiln dried pine ...but not as nice as the Thourghbred by Long Beach Shavings in Calif. That product was so clean I used it for my snakes. can’t seem to get it in upper Utah, Salt LAke. However I did find it 5 hours south and intend to get some next working trip.

The rats all do fine on the Dry Nest ...if the mice are that much more sensitive then I am screwed.

I have never found another pine product that was as clean and ordor free in the compressed bail as the Calif product. I have been to many farmers and feed stores.

I will read the link and get back to you ... yes that huffing and hic cup type breathing is the culprit and they do seem to chatter a bit when I listened in.

05/31/10  11:45pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2152032

If the rats are fine on the bedding you now are using the mice should also do fine with that.

Seeing as you have rats, be extra careful to prevent the spread of this ailment to your rattery. Don’t keep the rats and the mice in the same room, as these viruses are airborne, like the common cold.

06/01/10  09:24am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2152096

I read that and I am really worried....they all are in the same room. I can only hope theat the rats go ahead and create antibodies and recover...

So far I have not had any issues with the rats ,nor any signs of the same. I have even had 3 more rat litters with no deaths. Sadly , but with concern I need to euthanize the mice I believe.

Thanks for all the info and help

Cp

06/01/10  09:33pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2152266

I hope you don’t give up; as with many new endeavors, failure is often the first result, but one learns from mistakes and is soon rewarded with success.
Here is my first mouse cage; what a pain in the bum that was to clean! Live and learn!

You can feed the ailing mice to the snakes. The ailment wont hurt the snakes. Just kill the mice with cervical dislocation first so they wont bite your snakes.

06/02/10  10:47am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area