Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Prettygirlpittie   Greatballzofire   Monster545   Greatballzofire   Monster545   Greatballzofire   PrettyBoy   Veronica _V  

Member  Message

Prettygirlpittie
View Profile

Rat and mouse breeding questions.

Okay so I am new to breeding, I own two snakes and I live over an hour from anywhere that sells rodents, so I decided to breed my own. Here are my questions.

How long do rats and mice gestate?

My female rat’s normal weight is 240g, about how much do they gain within the first week of being pregnant?

How long should I keep the male and female rats together?Until she starts showing?

How old do rats reach sexual maturity?

How do you tell the difference between a male and female baby rat?

With mice, are they the same as rats within the sense that I need to remove the males when the females give birth? I am only asking because I have seen pet stores in the past that keep them together.

Thats all my questions for now. Thank you,
LaiLanni

02/01/10  12:24am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Prettygirlpittie   In reference to Message Id: 2119228

Breeding Data-Mice

Sexual maturity 7 weeks
Estrous cycle frequency 4-5 days
Duration of estrus 10 hours
Time of ovulation 2-3 hrs after estrus onset (spontaneous)
Gestation period 19-21 days
Avg. litter size 6-12
Begins eating dry food 12-14 days
Age at weaning 21 days
Breeding life 8 months
Life span 2.5 years

Leave the male mouse with his ladies. He will help raise the young and will keep them warm. With mice kept as pets it is recommended to remove the male after breeding as the females will go into estrus right away after birth and get pregnant again, but for feeder mice you want the production to continue.

Sexing Rats:
Link
With both rats and mice, the genitals on the baby male will have a longer distance from the anus to the urethra than the baby females’.

02/03/10  10:49am

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2119993

Accually, the male mouse will kill the babies. It would be safer for him and the babys if you seperate him a few days before she gives birth, and at least five days after killing the pinkys. She will need to be fed very hight vitamin and prpotien diet, so she can bounce back abnd produce another litter five days after the babys have been taken away.

04/04/10  04:31pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2138371

I must respectfully disagree that the male will kill the young. I have raised over 10,000 mice and never had a male kill his own young. Nervous females have sometimes killed some of their first litters, and if they do that a second time, well, I’ve got a lot of hungry snakes.

Males have been known to kill young that are not their own. I never put a male in with a mama who still has babies from a former mate.

I have some special mamas that I don’t want to have get pregnant with back to back pregnancies, so I will remove the papa and put him with a new harem. This allows the special mamas to raise their young without the added burden of another pregnancy, and also to spread the genes of the papa around more.

A harem of three mamas and their young. Will put the papa back once the mamas are finished raising these litters. There are some special genes in this group, such as brindle and long hair.

04/06/10  11:17am

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2138808

Ah, Ok Ive always heard that the males are dangerouse to the mommas, so I was just repeating what was told to me. I guess its for breeders only that the rule applys.

04/12/10  06:24pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2140112

With some animal species the males are a real hazard to the young. Tom cats are notorious for this. The only time male mice seem to have an issue with the young is if he doesn’t think they are his. Hence when I foster babies to another nest of mamas I will only use nests with no adult male present.

04/14/10  12:33pm

PrettyBoy
View Profile

Message To: Prettygirlpittie   In reference to Message Id: 2119228

Rats are pregnant for about 27 days. Rats reach sexual maturity at 5 weeks ofage but that isn’t sayingthat it’s safe to breed a female that young, feeder or not. You can leave the male rat with the female until a week or so before going into labor. An expert can tell males from females at 2 hours old. I’ll attach a site that will show you how to sex baby rats as soon as I find it. Good luck.

Megan

04/19/10  07:52pm

Veronica _V
View Profile

Message To: PrettyBoy   In reference to Message Id: 2141838

Once your mom rat has given birth, let her have a little time with her babies before you reintroduce dad... if possible, wait till the babies are ready to be on their own. She needs time to recuperate from babymaking. Some breeders will disagree and tell you to just let dad and mom screw away, but since rats go right into estrus after birth, I feel it’s best to give mom a little time to recoop and care of her babies without the added stress of another litter growing like mad inside of her. Feed high quality foods for the most success :)

12/28/11  04:03am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area