Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Hayley411   Flameethrower   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Hayley411
View Profile

Mice Not Breeding

I have been breeding feeders since april and it was all going good until recently, now I haven’t had babies in at least a month.
My mice are all kept out in a shed, unheated.
Could the colder temps be causing them to stop breeding?
I have 4 males all with 4-5 females each and none are prego or have babies.
Any advice?

~Hayley

12/30/09  07:25pm

Flameethrower
View Profile

Message To: Hayley411   In reference to Message Id: 2109369

Mice Not Breeding

How are they kept.

To breed them you need a consistent ambient room temp to keep them going all year. Also you need to rotate out old females in with new young ones to keep it going. Also you need to be feeding a qualtiy lab block otherwise they will not breed as they dont have the nutrition to. Mazuri or kent rodent feed are top brands.

I personally keep 3 males to 15 females and well they breed non stop all year in 80F room

01/03/10  04:32pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Hayley411   In reference to Message Id: 2109369

Mice Not Breeding

I keep mine in an old RV remodeled inside for the mice. I keep the temperatures from going below 40 F and over 70 F. This is their winter quarters. In the summer I put everyone out in the shade in a big screen tent. They seem to do better with cold than hot, but freezing temperatures are to be avoided. In their tubs I give them cardboard flats to nest under which helps keep them warm and gives them a sense of security.

I recently began culling out the old breeders and setting up new breeders. I think you may need to do the same. They are probably worn out and you need to do new set ups. Also keep the temperature in the 40 F to 70 F range and you should begin having young in about a month.

01/11/10  09:55am

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area