Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Yeff-A-Doodle   EvilTrailMix   Yeff-A-Doodle   EvilTrailMix  
 Member  Message

Yeff-A-Doodle
View Profile

Feeder Mice

Mkk...so my mama mouse finally had her babies today. Shes still having them, and last time I checked there were 6, working on 7. I have one corn snake that is a little over a foot who eats a big fuzzy every 5-7 days. He is in blue right now, so he wont be eating for about a week. (I dont feede him in blue, I dont want him throwing up, plus hes really, REALLY moody when hes in blue/shedding XD) And if there are too many, my friend has a Ball Python, so im not really worried. But my questions are:
How many pinkies should I feed him?
Will they be much bigger in a week?
Is pine, spruce, and fir ok bedding? (I think Cederis the dangerous one, not sure)
Can I use this bedding for my snake too?(his name is Atlas)
Should mama mouse get anything extra to help her?
And when should I seperate males and females?

Thanks!

12/11/09  08:22pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Yeff-A-Doodle   In reference to Message Id: 2103795

Feeder Mice

If he’s eating fuzzies you won’t be able to double up on pinkies. That will be too much. You’ll just have to feed him one every 5 days until your other babies get to be the right size. Don’t worry, they will do this quickly. Mine were about double in size after a week.

Do you mean separate the babies, or the breeders? If you mean the babies, you won’t have to because you’ll be freezing them long before they reach maturity. (4-6 weeks) If you mean the breeders, you should separate them before the female gives birth. That way she won’t get pregnant again immediately after having a litter.

12/11/09  10:20pm

Yeff-A-Doodle
View Profile

Message To: EvilTrailMix   In reference to Message Id: 2103875

Feeder Mice

Yes, I was talking about the babies. I was told I would need to seperate them because they can breed with each other really soon. :/

And you already answered the bedding question! lol

Im wondering If i should feed him one now, since he should have been fed today(hes in blue, I dont usually feed him, but he chose to shed a t a weird time. He will usually go into blue after he poops from eating. But hes a weirdo.) I probably wont feed him for another week or so untill he sheds, but I dont like messing with his feeding schedual, and I dont like making him go without food for 1week+.

12/11/09  10:31pm

EvilTrailMix
View Profile

Message To: Yeff-A-Doodle   In reference to Message Id: 2103883

Feeder Mice

If you’re raising older/larger feeders, yes, but since you need fuzzies there won’t be any need to separate them. Like I said, they don’t mature until they’re about 4-6 weeks old, so no worries for you! :)

Why don’t you feed him when he’s in shed? Does he refuse to eat? I know that some corns will, but mine never care and they eat whether they’re in shed, not in shed, or just shed 5 minutes ago. (My snakes like their food, lol) I’d go ahead and offer it to him. He may not be bothered by his shedding process at all.

12/12/09  04:43pm

Back to Rodents-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area